Women icers begin postseason

It seems like only yesterday the No. 4 Wisconsin women's hockey team swept St. Cloud State for the final series of the regular season. Just one week after the sweep, the Badgers (20-7-1 Western Collegiate Hockey Association, 26-7-1 overall) will try to achieve a third consecutive victory over the Huskies (7-18-3, 9-21-4) Friday during the opening round of the WCHA Tournament at Ridder Arena in Minneapolis, Minn.  

\We're comfortable right now with the way we're playing,"" Wisconsin head coach Mark Johnson said. ""And now we just have to maintain that and, you know, really mentally have faith in your teammates believe in one another and truly believe you have a chance to win the tournament."" 

Before the Badgers head into the tournament though, a few have awards to pick up. Wednesday, the All-WCHA teams were announced and senior defender Molly Engstrom picked up her second consecutive Defensive Player of the Year Award.  

""It's pretty exciting,"" Engstrom said immediately after hearing the news. ""It sounds clich?? but it's an honor."" 

""She's a great hockey player"" fellow senior defender Carla MacLeod said. ""She works hard, and anytime your friend can win an award that's pretty neat."" 

Engstrom also made All-WCHA First Team honors while MacLeod and sophomore forward Sara Bauer ended up on the All-WCHA Second Team. Freshman forward Jinelle Zaugg was also named to the All-WCHA Rookie Team. 

Last weekend against St. Cloud, the Badgers had an offensive field day. They totaled 11 goals in the series including two goals each from Engstrom and Bauer. This time around, Wisconsin will try to keep the offense rolling, knowing that St. Cloud will likely change a few things to keep the puck out of their net.  

""I'm pretty certain that their coaching staff will try to put a couple wrinkles into our game,"" MacLeod said. ""At the same time, we're still trying to elevate our game. We're not content at where we were last weekend either. Both sides will be working on some things and we'll see what happens."" 

Junior forwards Ashley Stewart and Kristy Oonincx lead the Huskies with 10 goals, 23 assists and 14 goals, nine assists respectively. Last weekend though, it was freshman forward Laura Fast who tallied three points on the weekend from one goal and two assists.  

""St. Cloud is definitely an aggressive team,"" senior defender Nicole Uliasz said. ""They're well skilled and they have some good players on there. I think we'll just have to go into the game and definitely just play as aggressive as we did and use are speed and our passing to get by them."" 

""You can't forget much in a week,"" Engstrom said. ""I think we know exactly what to expect and we know what we have to do to take the win."" 

If the Badgers garner their fifth victory over the Huskies this season, they will then move on to the semifinal game on Saturday at either 4:05 p.m. or 7:05 p.m.