Mono puts Butch on bench

The Badger sideline will temporarily have one empty seat while freshman forward Brian Butch continues to be sidelined after being diagnosed with mononucleosis last Wednesday by a team doctor. His return date is unknown at this time, but the Badger players hope he will be ready to return at least by tournament time. 

The virus causes enlargement of the spleen and extreme fatigue, among other symptoms. Those who have it are supposed to keep activity to a minimal to reduce the risk to the spleen. For now, Butch is being kept out of practice.  

\We talked to him the other day on the road trip,"" Badger head coach Bo Ryan said. ""You know, what can you do? You need to rest. That's the best thing. So we didn't want to bother him too much. ... I've known people that have and it just makes you feel like not doing anything. So it'd be kind of hard to have him practice."" 

Butch has appeared in 19 of the Badgers' 20 games this season, averaging 4.9 points and 3.4 rebounds in 11.9 minutes off the bench. 

""Brian brings a lot of energy,"" sophomore guard Alando Tucker said. ""He's a character and [his] role on the team is energizing. He helps us out on the bench and when we're warming up. We see him and hear him all the time. It's just his presence on the court. ... Every minute that he gives us is positive.\