Still unbeaten at home, UW opens Big Ten season

Winter break saw the end of non-conference play and the beginning of the Big Ten season for the Wisconsin men's basketball team (11-3 overall, 2-1 Big Ten). It also saw the Badgers remain unbeaten in their last 37 home games, a school record and the longest home winning streak in the country. While the Kohl Center success continues for UW, the Badgers continue to struggle on the road, losing twice in the past month. 

The Badgers began the break on the road at Marquette, where the Badgers fell 63-54. Wisconsin battled hard but was unable to recover from the 12-1 lead that Marquette jumped to less than four minutes into the game. Marquette senior Travis Diener had the hot hand, scoring 29 points for the Golden Eagles. 

The Badgers bounced back four days later with a 66-37 victory over UW-Milwaukee. The Panthers scored just 14 points in the first half and UW senior guard Sharif Chambliss scored 21 points en route to the win. 

Wisconsin got a week off before it notched another rout, an 85-53 win over UNC-Greensboro. The Badgers led by just seven points at halftime, but sophomore forward Alando Tucker scored 17 of his 21 points in the second half and the Badgers outscored the Spartans 56-31 over the second 20 minutes. 

The Badgers got their third-straight blowout Dec. 27, taking down Western Carolina 89-49. Tucker led the Badgers, again scoring 21 points and adding 10 rebounds.  

Tucker would score 21 again two days later as Wisconsin wrapped up its non-conference season by taking down then-No. 13 Alabama 76-62. The Badgers committed just five turnovers and went 11-of-22 from three-point range. 

\What a game to get you ready for conference play,"" UW head coach Bo Ryan said. ""Everyone was playing for their territory in the post position and trying to get their passing lanes working and things like that."" 

One week later, five days into 2005, the Big Ten season began with the Badgers on the road at Purdue. They kept their shooting touch from beyond the arc, this time going 14-of-22 in a 77-68 win, UW's first in West Lafayette, Ind. since 1972. 

Senior forward Zach Morley made his debut as a ""shooting forward"" by knocking down six of eight 3-pointers and leading the Badgers with a career-high 22 points. Chambliss also contributed 16 points and six assists. 

Three days later Wisconsin was on the road again to face Indiana, where they did not fare as well. Indiana junior guard Bracey Wright carried the Hoosiers with 30 points on 11-of-22 shooting. 

""We didn't do a real good job of keeping him from getting to the rim and his confidence just grew. He had it going,"" Ryan said. 

Tucker scored 22 for the Badgers and sophomore guard Kammron Taylor added 21 as the duo went 19-of-20 from the free-throw line, but it was not enough. The Badgers shot 35.6 percent from the floor and were just 3-of-18 from three-point range. 

""We didn't knock down shots and we didn't take care of the ball,"" senior forward Mike Wilkinson said. ""We'd get one or two [baskets] ... but they'd always have an answer."" 

Wilkinson definitely stepped up and knocked down shots when the Badgers returned home this past Tuesday. With Tucker sidelined with a leg injury, Wilkinson made 12 of 18 shots, including eight-of-eight in the second half to finish with a career-high 29 points in a 72-66 victory over Ohio State. 

""He had an incredible night,"" Ohio State head coach Thad Matta said. ""That was one of those nights that we think all players kind of dream about because we just didn't have any answers for him."" 

Perhaps his biggest basket was his only three-pointer of the contest, which ended an 8-0 run by the Buckeyes and increased the Badger lead to seven points with little more than two minutes remaining in the game. 

""Everything felt good ... I just got on a roll,"" Wilkinson said. 

The win extended the home winning streak to 37 games, and the Badgers remain undefeated at home under Ryan. 

""You can honestly say this is one of the top programs in the country,"" Matta said. ""Coach Ryan has done a tremendous job in his time here."" 

The conference schedule only gets tougher for the Badgers over the next two weeks. The Badgers will try to make it 38 straight at the Kohl Center when they take on Michigan State Sunday. After that, UW heads to Michigan before returning home to take on No. 1 Illinois Jan. 25. 

Wisconsin was able to get by without Tucker, who is currently listed as day-to-day, against Ohio State, but they will need him to return in order to have a chance against the perennial powerhouses of the Big Ten. 

Wade leaves UW 

Junior guard Boo Wade, who missed the first half of the season because of personal reasons, left the team for good Jan. 6. Again citing personal reasons, Wade will not return to the team or attend class at UW-Madison this semester. 

""I'd like to thank my teammates and coaches for their support, but I feel it is best for me to take a step back from school and basketball and work some things out,"" Wade said. 

""We thought Boo could address some personal issues while continuing to play,"" Ryan said. ""He has now decided that the best thing for him is to get away from school and basketball, and I support that decision completely."" 

Wade had rejoined the team Dec. 22 and played nine minutes in the Badgers' win over Western Carolina.