Opposition emerges in District 8 council election

Iincumbent Ald. Austin King, District 8, has two challengers for the upcoming alder election. The owner of the Kimia Lounge, 216 W. Mifflin, Kami Eshraghi and Ryan Corcoran have both filed to be on the ballot for the Apr. 5 election. 

District 8 contains an overwhelmingly large percentage of people under the age of 24 and a sizable student population. It is likely to be a race with implications for many UW-Madison students. 

King said he is taking this election very seriously and is going to run on his record because he is proud of the legislative success he has had. 

King added he has been an advocate for tenants rights, minimum wage increases and affordable housing and that he maintains a pro-tenant, pro-worker and pro-student voice. 

However, Eshraghi, who was born in Iran and raised in Madison, calls Madison his home and disagrees with King's performance in office. 

\My district is the least represented district on the council,"" he said. ""Historically people that have ran for that district view the position as something they can pad their resume with."" 

Corcoran could not be reached for comment. Although political party affiliation is not required of City Council candidates, it is still apparent in this election.  

""Eshragi has a lot of friends in more conservative circles,"" King said.  

Eshraghi, however, said he has ""been a lifelong democrat.\