One step closer to underagers in bars

Thanks to student representation by Associated Students of Madison at the recent City Council meeting, underage students are closer to being allowed into bars. 

According to a statement by ASM, the cabaret-license law did more to encourage the problem of underage drinking than restrict it. The committee met its goal to see the cabaret-license law repealed, meaning bar-goers are now able to dance without being arrested. 

\This was a really important first step for ASM and for the students; it was very encouraging,"" said Krissy Fischer, a UW-Madison sophomore and ASM legislative affairs committee representative.  

""The council members really heard what ASM had to say and hopefully they will continue to agree. They were very cooperative,"" Fischer said. 

Kelly Egan, UW-Madison sophomore and chair of the ASM legislative affairs committee, said in addition to repealing the cabaret license, a new nightclub license will possibly be implemented, meaning bars that allow dancing will need a security plan complete with emergency escape routes and perhaps bouncers. 

Madison City Council is expected to vote on the nightclub license in March, Egan said. 

The final step for ASM's Legislative Affairs committee is the new performance-venue license, which, if passed, will go into effect June 30. 

""We hope to provide more opportunities for underagers by providing more liberties for vendors,"" said Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4. 

The new license requires venues that have an elevated stage or an in-house sound system to allow mixed ages for shows. Establishments which purchase the nightclub license under this law must use wristbands to distinguish between underage and 21-plus crowds. 

Egan hopes to accomplish the committee's final goal not just for ASM, but for students as a whole. 

""It's the last step to getting what the students want,"" she said.