Bird soars on 'Mysterious Production'

(Righteous Babe Records) 

The singer/songwriter genre has had a lot to apologize for these last few years. The rise to fame of John Mayer and the legions of sound-alike \Mayerites."" The plunge of Dave Matthews Band from mediocrity to the 9th circle of Hell. Those are just two of many lines on the rap sheet. Thankfully the genre has always had its defenders, hiding largely outside of mainstream radio and featured Grammy performances. Andrew Bird is one of these unsung singing heroes. 

With his first full length solo release-The Mysterious Production of Eggs-set to hit stores in North America on February 8th, the one time Squirrel Nut Zipper expands on the themes of his last release, 2003's mini-LP Weather Systems. Innocent songs about science and childhood are the norm, with The Flaming Lips probably being his closest lyrical contemporaries. Bird's lack of cynicism does not translate to a lack of wit, however, nor does it completely hide a dark edge to some of the lyrics. He masterfully uses simple and sometimes childlike concepts to comment on larger ideas and real world issues. The album's first single, ""Measuring Cups,"" deals with one of Bird's favorite issues-the fact that childhood is often a much more frightening experience than most adults remember. ""Opposite Day"" looks at alienation when ""Those the world set up for/that are really doing quite well/gonna wake up in institutions/in prison or in hell."" ""Tables and Chairs"" tells the story of a picnic after the apocalypse. 

The album's compositions are layered with beautiful guitar and vocal melodies, orchestral movements, and whistling, for the most part performed entirely by Bird himself. The instrumentation shows the same careful planning and attention to detail as the lyrics, which is not surprising given the fact that the album was scrapped three times during recording before Bird was satisfied with it. The whole album is good, with ""Measuring Cups,"" ""Banking on a Myth"" and ""Skin Is, My"" being the standout tracks. ""Skin Is, My"" is the largest departure from the main sound of the album, even including the hint of a Latin dance beat. 

The excellence of the album is not even confined to the recorded material. The album art alone is enough to necessitate its purchase with the Snuffleupagus-truck and stuffed animal conflagration. With The Mysterious Production of Eggs, Bird delivers on all fronts with his own blend of light and dark, old and young.