Report: Alvarez may take Notre Dame job

UW-Madison football Head Coach Barry Alvarez may soon be leaving Camp Randall for the land of the Irish, according to WNDU-TV. 

Tapping a source close to Alvarez, the South Bend, Ind., television station reported Alvarez would accept Notre Dame's recently opened football Head Coach position if Notre Dame offers it to him. 

However, another source, also close to Alvarez, gave the report little credence, saying Alvarez is perfectly happy at UW-Madison. 

When Notre Dame fired former Head Coach Tyrone Willingham Nov. 30, former Utah Head Coach Urban Meyer was considered the frontrunner to take over at Notre Dame. However, Meyer decided Saturday to coach at the University of Florida, leaving Notre Dame still seeking a replacement for Willingham. 

Alvarez, who also serves as UW-Madison's Athletic Director, has not commented on the matter. 

Alvarez served as the defensive coordinator under Lou Holtz at Notre Dame for the 1988 and '89 seasons. 

Spokespersons from the UW-Madison Athletic Department would not comment on the matter, but UW-Madison Deputy Athletic Director Jamie Pollard said it was the first he has heard of such developments.