Wisconsin settles for split with Pioneers

The Badgers (3-1-0 Western Collegiate Hockey Association, 5-1-0 overall) used three unanswered goals in the third period Friday to propel them to their fifth straight victory to open the season. Unfortunately for them, the Denver Pioneers (3-1-0, 4-3-0) did not take the defeat kindly and the defending national champions came out for revenge Saturday, winning 5-3. 

The series split left the teams tied for second in the WCHA standings with six points, two behind Minnesota-Duluth. 

\We don't want to give anything up here-this is our building,"" Wisconsin captain Adam Burish said. ""Are we happy with the split? Absolutely not. We'll never be happy with a split at home. That's the attitude the guys have to have."" 

The two teams battled back and forth all weekend. The teams exchanged goals for the first 40 minutes of Friday night's contest before Wisconsin's offense exploded for the late three-goal victory. 

Denver took the early lead Friday, but Wisconsin was able to tie the game at one goal apiece after the first period. They then traded two goals apiece, exchanging the lead in the second. The officials also missed a Denver goal midway through the period when the puck appeared to hit the back of the net and caromed back onto the ice. The officials apparently did not see it. 

The Badgers, who had outscored its opponents 10-0 thus far this season in the third period, tacked three more onto that feat to seal the win. 

""Our hard work paid off again,"" Wisconsin Head Coach Mike Eaves said. 

Sophomore forward Ross Carlson notched the game-winning goal less than three minutes into the third period. He got his stick on a flying puck and knocked it over the Pioneer's sophomore goalie Glenn Fisher. 

Freshman forward Joe Pavelski would add to the lead---scoring his second goal of the night-and sophomore forward Robbie Earl would tack on one more late in the period to close out the 6-3 win. 

Pavelski had three points Friday night, bringing his season total to 11-more than any other rookie in the country. However, he was kept off the scoreboard in Saturday's game. 

With an assist on Saturday-his eighth through six games this season-Earl brought his point total to 11 as well, which puts the two in a tie for fourth in the country. 

The win marked the first victory for Wisconsin over Denver in nine games at the Kohl Center. 

The Badgers and Pioneers battled back and forth again Saturday. Denver once again got on the scoreboard early-just 23 seconds into the game-when senior forward Jeff Drummond scored his first goal of the night. 

""They picked it up a notch and we weren't as sharp right from the git-go,"" Eaves said. ""Then we have to try to play catch-up in getting ourselves to the level that matches them, and that's a difficult thing to do."" 

Wisconsin freshman defenseman Davis Drewiske got his first goal as a Badger later in the period, but the Pioneers would score again to take a one-goal lead into the second period. 

Both teams would score twice in the second period and the Pioneers would keep their one-goal advantage heading into the final 20 minutes. 

While the Badgers enjoyed third-period success on Friday, they could not muster any offense Saturday. Denver scored again early in the third period to solidify the 5-3 win. 

""The last couple weekends we battled back, but against good teams you can't put yourself in that kind of hole,"" junior assistant captain Tom Gilbert said. ""We put ourselves in that hole again and we couldn't scramble out of it."" 

Senior All-American goalie Bernd Br??ckler started both games for the first time this year, making 53 saves and allowing nine goals. 

""We saw Bernd get into a little groove [Friday] night. ... He was outstanding in that second period. He made some unbelievable saves,"" Eaves said. 

The Badgers-after playing their first three series at home-take to the road next weekend in a WCHA series at Minnesota.