Staff Opinion: Daily Cardinal Endorsements

It is without hesitation but with great reservation that The Daily Cardinal supports the election of Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry for president. 

On Nov. 2, American voters must be especially pragmatic. In 2000, it wasn't hard to see Al Gore and President Bush as the same kind of president. Both presented politically moderate platforms. In the debates, Gore was unable to differentiate himself from then-Gov. Bush and there were seemingly few negative consequences associated with a vote cast for Ralph Nader. This time around, the differences between the candidates are starker, Nader is no longer a harmless sideshow, and we have seen just exactly what can happen in four years when the wrong man assumes the office of president. 

We cannot afford a similar level of na??vet?? in this election.  

At the dawn of his presidency, Bush staked out positions on judicial appointments, separation of church and state, ethics on scientific research and fiscal policy that were well outside the social mainstream. Additionally, his administration has been among the most secretive in the history of the office, concealing documents in an effort to hide both the egregious policies this administration has pursued. 

Perhaps the most unfortunate aspect of Bush's administration, however, has been his political manipulation of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks to sponsor legislation wholly against the spirit of the Constitution and the civil liberties it guarantees. Bush entrusted his policy with the most hawkish members of his administration and waged divisive military campaigns under the false pretenses of protecting the United States from another terrorist attack. Increasing the nation's vulnerability to attack by diverting the U.S. military abroad and neglecting the growing nuclear threat in Iran and North Korea is a frightening prospect for the security of our country and is a direct result of the actions taken by this administration. 

It is a testament to Kerry's shortcomings, then, that the president is still in this race. 

Kerry has made many of promises during the campaign and they sound very appealing. He has said he will repeal Bush's tax cuts on those individuals making more than $200,000 in order to pay for a vast number of spending increases. He has cited a plan for the government to underwrite four years of college education in exchange for two years of community service. One of the centerpieces of the Kerry campaign is universal health coverage. He said he would add 40,000 active duty troops to our nation's armed forces. 

This platform is a tall order. Forgive our skepticism, but rolling back tax cuts on wealth Americans alone will not pay for these policy proposals, especially considering Kerry's health care plan alone calls for 5 trillion in spending over the next years. Kerry has simply failed to adequately outline how he will make these plans a reality. 

However, as P. Diddy has made you frighteningly aware, your vote is exceedingly important. It is too important to protest by throwing away one's vote to Nader. Nader is not running a serious campaign this year. He is not campaigning for federal matching funds, and he is not campaigning to help create a viable third party. 

And it's too important to sign on for four more years of Bush's administration. Bush has campaigned on and made a virtue of his unwavering vision. In the second debate, he was unable to name one of his shortcomings. Yet for all his determination, there is no end in sight in Iraq. This president is unable to see that his massive tax cuts are failing to ease unemployment rates and are creating economic deficits that will take decades to pay off. 

In the past four years, Bush has taken this country in the wrong direction in almost every respect. Could a Kerry presidency really be any worse?