Giving some thanks for Wisconsin athletics

Ireally don't like Thanksgiving. Granted, the four-day weekend is nice, as is the time spent with family, but in my opinion turkey is mediocre and I'm getting sick of watching the Detroit Lions and Dallas Cowboys while the rest of my family is passed out from their turkey comatose.  

Though I don't really enjoy the holiday as much as, oh say, Groundhog's Day, I still recognize its significance, which of course is the start of \A Christmas Story"" movie marathons!... I mean, giving thanks for what we have. So in the spirit of Turkey Day, it is time for us Badger fans to show some gratitude for all the good we have experienced this year. 

My first thank you goes out to the football team. Let's all get over the fact that we were embarrassed by Michigan State and remember everything that came before the loss. There was that perfect 9-0 record, the best defense in college football and even the sweet scent of roses that had been picked up on everyone's nose around campus. Who is to even say that the stench is gone for good? With a little prayer to Bucky Badger and maybe even some cheering for Ohio State (I know, it is hard) our dream season could end in Pasadena as planned. Since the football team has been a majority of the buzz around campus, I think we all have a good idea of why they deserve some thanks so I'll move on. 

My next thank you goes out to the men's hockey team for literally and figuratively kicking the crap out of North Dakota last weekend. The sweep was nice, but it had been a while since I've seen a good hockey fight and last weekend definitely fulfilled my quota at least until the next home series. Bashing heads into the ice and Plexiglas isn't something I generally condone, but it made for an exciting series. Also, one last thanks to the hockey team for scoring five goals in Saturday's win. Unfortunately I was unable to enjoy my free Culver's custard so I'll have to load up on extra pumpkin pie.  

The most deserved appreciation goes out to an almost unheard of team around campus. Believe it or not, this team has been ranked higher than the football team all season, has never lost sight of a national championship and doesn't even have to depend on BCS rankings to get there. This would be the men's cross country team, and they are getting the biggest thank you from me. I can't say I've ever been to a Wisconsin cross country meet; it's hard to follow considering there isn't really a student section running alongside them at their races (I think I'd collapse if I tried to keep up). Despite a lack of support, this team has been ranked No. 1 for a majority of the season, and, though there is some disagreement among the Cardinal sports columnists, I'm confident they will be the only team to bring home a national championship for Wisconsin this year.  

My column's word limit prevents me from going on and on with thank yous but there is much more out there to be thankful for in the world of Badger sports. So now I salute you, Mr. or Ms. (insert name here). Thank you and have a happy Thanksgiving. 

Betsy is a sophomore planning to major in journalism. Tell her what you are thankful for at eagolomski@wisc.edu.