UW-Madison hosts second Baldwin, Magnum debate

U.S. Rep. Tammy Baldwin, D-Madison, and Republican opponent Dave Magnum emphasized differences from their own political parties at the 2nd Congressional district Candidate's Forum on Global Affairs Sunday night at Memorial Union. 

Moderator Melanie Ramey, state treasurer of the League of Women Voters, framed the debate as a discussion of how America relates to the rest of the globe. 

\How should our government interact with the nations and people of the world?"" she asked. 

The first of several questions, all of which were submitted by the audience, asked candidates about their position on free trade and how to deal with its impact on Wisconsin workers and consumers. 

Baldwin said she was at odds with former President Bill Clinton's decision in 1994 to join NAFTA.  

""I am troubled when I read the reports of the legacy of NAFTA and other trade agreements that I believe have not only led to significant job loss in our country, but also significant steps backward with regards to worker rights, worker safety and environmental protection,"" she said. 

Magnum said he agreed with Clinton's decision, stating trade with Canada and Mexico has doubled since NAFTA went into effect. 

When asked if there was a discrepancy in the United States nuclear policy, Magnum said he sees a problem with signing the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty while the U.S. Nuclear Posture Review supports the first-strike use of nuclear weapons against non-nuclear nations. 

""I can stand here as a guy with an 'R' next to my name and disagree with the administration,"" he said. ""I believe there absolutely is a contradiction here that we need to address."" 

Baldwin said she held a different point of view from Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry over the threat of Iraq before the U.S.-led invasion.  

""I don't believe that Iraq ever posed an imminent threat to the United States,"" she said.  

Magnum said Baldwin's disagreement with her party's leaders marginalized her position.  

""You're coming across as a minority within a minority party,"" he said. 

Brian Jensen, a recent graduate of UW-Madison, said he was glad the candidates showed willingness to break with their party's positions. 

""I liked that they both have independent ideas,"" he said. ""I think that's very good and very informative."" 

The next debate is tonight at Beloit College.