Police prepare State Street for weekend revelries

Police will require mandatory court dates for all juvenile offenses committed during Halloween, and will begin removing all bicycle racks and mopeds on State Street today in preparation for this weekend, according to a press release from the Madison Police Department. 

The City of Madison will remove all bike racks and mopeds in the State Street area beginning at 6 a.m., and all bikes still secured to racks will be moved to a secure location, according to a police statement. 

Residents who think their bike or moped has been removed are encouraged to call the Madison Police Department Property Section at 267-8611. 

Also, police announced the increases in fines for disorderly conduct and drinking-related violations Wednesday. The fine increases include disorderly conduct, which will increase to $412; furnishing alcohol to underagers, increased to $350; possession of open alcohol containers on the street, increased to $288; underage consumption of alcohol on licensed premises, increased to $350; and possession of glass containers near the State Street area, increased to $288. Also, officers will have the discretion to take juveniles into custody if they are not under parental control. Police stress that anyone arrested during Halloween weekend will be immediately taken to a processing area, and violators from abroad or out-of-state will be required to post a bond. 

Police will also enforce a glass-free zone Oct. 29-Oct. 31 from 9:30 p.m. to 6 a.m. The zone encompasses all of State Street, as well as areas enclosed in the border of Langdon Street, North Henry Street, West Gorham Street and University Avenue.  

-Maureen Backman