Mid-majors look to build off 2003 success

Mountain West 

If you're looking for this years Bowl Championship Series buster, you have to look no further than the Mountain West Conference and it's Cinderella, Utah. The Utes entered this season ranked No. 19 in the country, and used opening weekend to show they are for real, trouncing Texas A&M 41-21. Playing a schedule that contains no Top 25 teams, the Utes, led by veritable junior quarterback Alex Smith, are likely to go undefeated and cause a BCS stir. Unlike the rest of the non-BCS conferences, the Mountain West is competitive top to bottom. Colorado State is always a threat to crack the Top 25, and New Mexico and San Diego State are two of the nation's most exciting up-and-coming programs. While the Mountain West can not compete with the ACC, they're probably stronger than the recently decimated Big East, a BCS conference. 

Sun Belt 

North Texas' domination of the Sun Belt Conference could be in jeopardy this year as new entry Troy State looks to claim the crown. Although the Mean Green have become a fixture in the New Orleans Bowl, Head Coach Larry Blakeney and the Trojans have made an impressive transition into Division 1-A football and will be looking to make their presence felt immediately in their new conference. While Troy State will finally bring competition to the Sun Belt, North Texas is still the favorite. North Texas boasts the best one-two combo in the conference with senior quarterback Scott Hall and senior running back Patrick Cobbs, who lead the nation with 1,680 yards last season, also accumulating 19 touchdowns. 

Division I-A Independents 

While Troy State and Utah State joined the Sun Belt, and Connecticut moved to the Big East, the two fixtures of Division 1-A independents are still there, Navy and the University of Notre Dame. Added to the list are newcomers to Division 1 football Florida Atlantic and Florida International. Notre Dame is looking to bounce back after a disappointing 2003 campaign, when the Irish finished with a 5-7 record. Their hopes for a return to glory, and a bowl game, rest on the shoulders of sophomore quarterback Brady Quinn, who had an unimpressive freshman year, throwing for nine touchdowns and 15 INTs. While being the most talented independent team, a lack of speed and one of the toughest schedules in the nation have the Irish poised for another losing season. Navy, like the rest of the military schools, is just too small to be a force in the BCS. While they will not finish above .500, if Navy can beat rival Notre Dame, who edged them 27-24 last year, it will be their best season in recent memory. The other two teams, Florida Atlantic and Florida International, get high marks just for showing up. Both teams are just looking for a few wins to prove they belong at this level.  

Conference USA 

While Conference USA does not look like it will have anyone shake up the BCS, it does boast some exciting teams. Memphis, who may have the two best players in the league in junior running back DeAngelo Williams and senior defensive lineman Albert Means, is the early season favorite to win the title. Williams led the NCAA in all-purpose yards last year and reportedly showed up to camp faster and stronger this season. If Memphis doesn't win it, expect UAB or Houston to. UAB may have the most exciting player in the conference in junior quarterback Darrell Hackney, along with the best all-around defense. Houston's Kevin Kolb put together one of the most impressive freshman campaigns in recent history last season, throwing for 25 touchdowns and six interceptions. The Cougars might not have the defense to win the conference, but the fact that Kolb will only get better will cause many defensive coordinators to have some sleepless nights. 

Western Athletic Conference 

Fresno State looks to be primed to win another WAC championship. The Bulldogs are the most talented team in the conference on paper, and if junior quarterback Paul Pinegar can stay healthy, the Bulldogs will raise some eyebrows. With the high-powered offense Head Coach Pat Hill has assembled, and a defense lead by talented junior safety James Sanders, the Bulldogs are heavy favorites to win their conference. Either junior Jared Zabransky or senior Mike Sanford will have to fill the big void left by quarterback Ryan Dinwiddie who threw for more than 4,000 yards and 28 touchdowns last year, if Boise State hopes to repeat as WAC Champions. 

Mid-American Conference 

Unfortunately for the MAC, the element of surprise is no longer available. After last year's unexpected success against ranked opponents and the major conferences, MAC teams will find the going tougher this year. Miami (Ohio) lost former quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to the NFL, leaving junior quarterback Josh Betts with big shoes to fill. Betts will be aided by returning junior wide receiver Martin Nance, the team's leading receiver in 2003, and senior running back Mike Smith, second in rushing yards a year ago. Toledo will look to challenge Miami (Ohio) for the conference championship behind the arm of junior quarterback Bruce Gradkowski. Marshall could also make a run at the MAC title, but the two have tough back-to-back games against Ohio State and Georgia.