Women's tennis beat Purdue for first conf. win

The Wisconsin women's tennis team (1-3 Big Ten, 8-9 overall) captured its first Big Ten victory of the season Sunday, defeating Purdue (2-3, 7-9 overall) 4-3, one day after finishing on the losing end of that very score against No. 24 Illinois (3-1, 12-3 overall).  

The Badgers competed valiantly against the heavily favored Illini as junior Lindsay Martin and sophomore Katie McGaffigan defeated Illinois' No. 9 duo of junior Cynthya Goulet and Katie's sister, senior Jennifer McGaffigan, 8-4. Katie got the best of her sister in doubles play, but lost to 34th-ranked Jennifer when they squared off in singles competition. What transpired between the two sisters on Sunday was a microcosm of the two teams' match on Saturday-UW ruled on the doubles front, but came up short during the singles phase of the match. 

UW freshman Caitlin Burke and senior Theresa Gonzaga won in the No. 2 slot to give the Badgers the first point of the day, but UW won only two of six singles matches from there on out as their first conference win of the 2004 season continued to elude them-though they would not have to wait long. 

When the Badgers took to the hardcourts against the Boilermakers, Burke and Gonzaga gave UW a repeat performance from the day before, winning their doubles match and setting the tone for the day-a day in which their conference skid would end and an heir of optimism would arise. Even after the Boilermakers drew even in the singles portion, senior Shana McElroy broke a 3-3 tie by beating senior Gretchen Haynor in two sets to secure the victory for Wisconsin. 

The story of the weekend was the emergence of freshman Caitlin Burke who, in only her third collegiate match, defeated Purdue's senior Melissa Woods to remain undefeated in her college career. With UW's youth making big contributions all across the board, the sky is the limit for a team that has a four-match homestand coming up-a stretch in which they have an opportunity to make great strides in the race for the conference crown.