Wetland conservation group brings bucks, ducks to UW

Ducks Unlimited, a nationwide organization of duck hunters interested in wetland conservation, is founding a UW-Madison chapter this spring. 

\Ducks Unlimited thought [Madison] would be a really conducive place to start up a chapter and take fire and prosper here,"" said UW-Madison junior John Kastner, chair of a committee to found the chapter. 

In fact, according to the Ducks Unlimited national headquarters, Wisconsin leads the nation in fundraising for the organization. The state's 48,045 members raised approximately $3.6 million in 2003. 

Most chapters are known simply for hosting fundraising events, but Kastner said he will plan more interesting events for student members next year. 

""I'm hoping to make it a little more activity-oriented,"" Kastner said. ""Since it is [primarily] a hunting organization ... I'm planning on having a trap-shoot or something."" 

Kastner is not a hunter himself, but said they comprise about 60 percent of the organization. 

Ducks Unlimited was founded in 1937 as a response to the Dust Bowl. Conservationists interested in hunting ducks decided to raise funds to preserve wetlands. Today, the organization sponsors wetlands throughout the hemisphere. 

The local chapter is holding its first meeting, an organizational banquet, at Luther's Blues, 1401 University Ave., May 4.