UW men set for uphill climb in conference tourney

The Wisconsin men's tennis team looks to end their frustrating 2004 campaign on a high note this weekend at the Big Ten Tournament. The Badgers, who enter the contest as a ten seed after posting a 2-8 record in conference play, will take on Penn State (No. 63), the number seven seed on Thursday. The last time these two teams met, the Badgers lost 2-5.?? Since then, Wisconsin continued to lose momentum, dropping three straight, including a 7-0 loss to Ohio State, the number two seed in the tournament, and Wisconsin's second-round opponent if they beat the Nittany Lions. The year for the Badgers has been marked by many close calls, matches where they were a break or two away from getting a win.?? 

\It's been a frustrating year for us. We've been close a lot of times and can't quite get over the hump.?? Hopefully going into the Big Ten Tournament we'll get a decent drawn and get over the hump and play as well as we can play,"" remarked Badger Head Coach Pat Klingelhoets. 

If the Badgers hope to get over the hump, they will need solid performances from senior David Hippee and junior Alex Kasarov, who are the Badgers No.1 doubles team, and the 42nd ranked pair in the nation. In the last two matches, Wisconsin has won the doubles point through solid performances by their No. 2 and No. 3 pairs, while the Hippee / Kasarov pair faltered both times.?? However the Badgers cannot expect similar performances from their lower pairs against the much deeper teams they face in the Big Ten Tournament. One reason for the pair's recent struggles is the tendonitis that has flared up in Kasarov's knee. While still being able to play, the knee trouble has prevented Kasarov from getting a good push on his serve and limited his mobility. He says he's been training and receiving treatment to prevent further problems but that it won't go away. 

""I've got to stay mentally tough out there and just keep on swinging ... and good things will happen,"" he commented.??  

The Badgers are in the same position they were last year when they came into the tournament as a number ten seed and knocked off No. 7 Michigan. The Badgers could repeat that feat if they play mistake-free tennis. Penn State enters the tournament with only one ranked player, No. 115 Malcolm Scatliffe. Scatliffe was 18-10 on the year in singles play, earning the Nittany Lions' most improved player award. He is also a two-time Athlete of the Week honoree. 

The Fighting Illini will have a chance to defend their 2003 tournament title as the number one seed, finishing out the season 10-0 in conference play. The Illini enter the tournament with five ranked players, including the number one overall player, Brian Wilson, who boasts an amazing 18-2 singles record. Ohio State, whose only Big Ten loss was to Illinois by a score of 4-3, enters the tournament at number two, with Minnesota, Northwestern and Purdue rounding out the top five. 

The Badger's match against Penn State begins at 10 a.m. in East Lansing.??  

""Our goal [is] to get in there and beat those guys, and get a shot at the two seed, and give them a go,"" Klingelhoets said.??""Play those guys right to the hilt.\