FDA will decide fate of Doyle's drug plan

Gov. Jim Doyle will lobby the Food and Drug Administration Wednesday in support of Wisconsin's move to offer access to Canadian pharmacies through its Web site, www.drugsavings.wi.gov.  

\The state is creating opportunities for individuals to import drugs from Canada,"" said Doyle spokesperson Josh Morby, who did not know how many people had bought drugs through the site because it directs people to pharmacies' Web sites rather than selling them the drugs directly. 

That may not be enough to keep it clear of FDA regulations against importing drugs, UW-Madison pharmacy Professor David Mott said. 

The FDA overlooks small, individual purchases, he said. But a government-sponsored Web site, even one that warns visitors imported drugs might not be safe, could be found illegal. 

The FDA will decide whether to approve imported drugs despite safety concerns. Doyle will be the first governor to testify before the FDA's Drug Importation Task Force, which has already spoken with drug industry representatives and consumer groups. 

""The FDA is in a no-win situation,"" UW-Madison pharmacy administration Professor David Kreling said. 

Approval of Canadian drugs would put the FDA on unstable ground, he said, because it cannot maintain quality controls over foreign drugs. 

Doyle said the site allows Wisconsin residents, especially senior citizens on fixed incomes, to avoid prescription drug prices that are ""out of control."" 

Generic drugs made in America, Kreling said, are a better choice because they are often less expensive than brand-name Canadian drugs and can be obtained locally. The problem, he said, is some people may see generic drugs as less desirable, even if they are more affordable. 

The state Web site, alongside warnings about imported drugs, assures visitors that state inspectors have found the Canadian pharmacies listed to be ""safe, reputable and reliable."" The FDA, however, has not found them to be up to its standards. 

""I think there's a risk there,"" Mott said. 

That risk is that people could start to think all they need is drugs. The presence of local pharmacists is essential, Kreling said, because they can meet patients and choose the best form of treatment.  

""Any time you use a drug, something could go wrong,"" he said. ""Whether the public realizes this and considers it is a different matter.\