Doyle denies UW worker salary hikes

Citing the state's $3.2 billion budget deficit, the Joint Committee on Employment Relations unanimously accepted Gov. Jim Doyle's proposal Tuesday to prevent wage increases for non-unionized UW System faculty and staff. 

Dealing a blow to an earlier UW Board of Regent proposal seeking a 4 percent pay increase for UW employees, Doyle's proposal freezes 2003-'04 salaries while allowing for a 1 percent pay increase in 2004-'05. Additionally, depending on their health care plan, non-unionized UW employees not previously paying health insurance premiums can expect to pay $25-$250 per month effective next year. 

David Walsh, regent vice president, said he understands the dire financial situation of the state and realizes why the committee approved the proposal.  

\This is painful time but I do believe the Doyle administration is very pro-education and they would do what they could,"" Walsh said.  

As negotiations continue with the state's unionized workers, state Sen. Alan Lasee, R-DePere, said the committee made a fair decision based on the state's budget crisis and said everyone must share the responsibility in helping the state return to financial prosperity.  

Lasee took offense to faculty objections regarding increased health care costs stating the private sector pays a higher health insurance than University employees. 

""I am really offended they are so arrogant, they don't see what is happening out here and we just need to give the taxpayers a break,"" Lasee said. ""We're not just picking on the university."" 

Don Nelson, communications director for state Rep. Dean Kauffert, R-Neenah, said the committee made a tough decision but has remained consistent in negotiating contracts with state employees.  

""It is the same proposal that other state employees got and the legislators got,"" Nelson said. ""Basically there was not enough money available to give 4 percent raises when on average state employees were getting 0-1 percent."" 

Many faculty and regents contend the university loses a competitive edge when salaries are frozen and benefits are cut which makes it difficult to recruit and retain faculty.  

""This is not anything anybody wants to do,"" Walsh said. ""Any time we aren't competitive it hurts."" 

Lasee said he does not believe UW loses a significant competitive edge and emphasized the state's economic crisis instead. 

""Everyone knows we have a problem financially and the university has to be part of the fix as does every other branch of the government,"" Lasee said.