California cracks down on student-teacher relationships

The University of California System adopted a stricter consensual-relationship policy for this academic year, prohibiting faculty members from having romantic or sexual relationships with any student they are teaching, supervising or evaluating.  

The policy emerged from ethical concerns and conflicts of interests involved in such relationships.  

UW-Madison is not considering ammending its policy which is similar to that of the University of California's, according to UW-Madison Provost Peter Spear. 

UW-Madison's consensual-relationship policy states any faculty member in a romantic relationship with a student under their supervision is unacceptable. The faculty member must report the relationship to an immediate supervisor, who will then remove the student from that relationship and place them under the authority of a different faculty member, according to Spear. 

However, teachers may engage in relationships with former students. 

\Once [teachers and students] are no longer in an evaluative relationship with each other, then presuming they are consenting adults, there are no rules against it,"" Spear said. 

Mike Quieto, former president and current member of the Teaching Assistant Association agrees with UW-Madison's policy.  

""Frankly, I think it's disgusting when teachers [sleep with] their students,"" he said. ""I think it is absolutely inexcusable and unconscionable."" 

Quieto said he believes teachers have too much power in that type of situation. 

""It lends itself to a harassing environment,"" he said. 

An anonymous UW-Madison student who was romantically involved with his TA through a UW-Madison-sponsored study abroad program said the TA did not report their relationship and tried to maintain a professional relationship in the classroom.  

He said although he did not feel the TA was biased in his evaluation, the relationship was beneficial. 

""It made studying easier because we were always together,"" he said. 

He said he feels dating a TA is taboo because others think it is unacceptable. 

However, faculty members establishing friendships with students is deemed acceptable, according to Quieto, who said he frequently talks to his students outside the classroom. 

""[Friendly interpersonal relationships] can be very beneficial for a learning environment, when you realize that your teacher is a human being as well,"" he said. 

Paul Barrows, vice chancellor for student affairs, said he believes the ideal relationship between teacher and student should be strictly professional. 

""I think it's OK for a teacher and a student to have coffee,"" he said. ""It depends on the context [of the situation]."" 

Consensual relationships between teachers and students are a growing concern at many universities. Many are marking changes to their policies. 

""I would applaud universities that are creating strict policies to safeguard teachers and students against this potentially unethical situation,"" Quieto said.