The run for October begins

Atlanta Braves 

The Braves are now the National League's East Division winner for the 12th consecutive season, dating back to 1991. In those 12 trips the Braves have been to the World Series five times, winning their only championship in '95. 

Key: The Atlanta Braves have been dependent on their pitching the past 12 playoff appearances and finally have an offense that is dominating the league. However, to reach the National League Championship Series the team will need more from it's pitching. 

Offense: The Braves offense, led by Gary Sheffield, will be a major key to the team's victory. The Braves hold the second best team average in the Major Leagues. They also lead the NL in RBI's, slugging percentage, runs, hits and homeruns. 

Pitching: However, the Achilles Heel of this years team is an aging pitching staff. Braves ace Greg Maddux is no longer what he used to be early in his career. Maddux had the highest ERA in his career since his rookie season, 1987, and gave up the most home runs in his career. 

Chicago Cubs 

The Cubs were the last team to complete the playoff picture, winning the Central Division Saturday. This is the first playoff appearance for the team since 1998 and their first division title in 14 years. Chicago will look to end a wicked curse that the organization has had hanging over their heads since 1914.  

Key: Chicago will need to keep last months momentum alive, when they pulled away from the Houston Astros. The starting pitching will need to go a strong six or??seven innings a game. 

Offense: The Cubs have the worst offensive numbers among the teams in the the playoffs. Sammy Sosa, and the rest of the Cubs offense, was slow to start until the second half of the season. With help from trades, the offense has come a long way. 

Pitching: Chicago's pitching is one of the best in the Majors. They led the league in strikeouts, but their bullpen is suspect. 

San Francisco Giants 

The defending National League Champions are searching for a return to the World Series and look to overcome last years devastating loss to the Anaheim Angels. Led by Barry Bonds, the team will pose a difficult foe to anyone that has to face them. 

Key: Bonds is going to get walked. The players around him need to step up like Benito Santiago and Jeff Kent last year. 

Offense: Despite being walked 148 times, Bonds still hit 45 home runs, posted a slugging percentage of .747 and compiled a batting average of .341. 

Pitching: The Giants pitching is near the top of the Majors along side the Cubs. With Jason Schmidt leading this pitching staff was one of the top teams in baseball in hits allowed and runs against. 

Florida Marlins 

The Marlins won the NL Wild Card after chasing the Philadelphia Phillies most of the season. Led by a major offseason acquisition, catcher Ivan \Pudge"" Rodriguez, the Marlins resemble the 1997 World Series champions. 

Key: The Marlins have been hot since the playoff races picked up. The team needs to keep up the intensity in these must-win games and keep its opening series to a small-ball game. 

Offense: A young offensive team will be lead by speedy center fielder Juan Pierre. If he gets on, expect him to be standing at second on the next pitch. Pierre led all of baseball with 62 steals this year on a team that likes to run (leading baseball with 150 steals). 

Pitching: NL Rookie of the Year candidate Dontrelle Willis struggled in the second half of the season, but the high kicking kid got back into the groove of things as the regular season winded down. Before Willis gets the ball though, it will pass through hard throwers, Josh Beckett and Brad Penney, who throw at speeds in the upper nineties.