Changin' of the guard

Many of last year's stars in college football have moved on to the professional ranks, leaving their former teams with seemingly gaping holes; their successors though, have thus far proved to be fairly capable of filling the openings.  

No better example exists than the University of Southern California's junior quarterback Matt Leinart. 

Perhaps with the biggest shoes to fill, those of Heisman trophy winner Quarterback Carson Palmer, Leinart threw for 192 yards passing and a touchdown as he led the Trojans in a dominating 23-0 drubbing of Auburn. This was Leinart's first start, as he sat on the bench all of last year with Palmer starting every game. The start came against an over-hyped Auburn team in Alabama. 

If Leinart continues to play consistent and poised throughout the year, the Trojans could have a better overall record with Leinart as opposed to Palmer at the helm. 

It would seem that Miami would have just as much success this year with senior quarterback Brock Berlin and junior running back Frank Gore replacing the NFL-bound duo of Ken Dorsey and Willis McGahee.  

Ranked the No. 3 team in the nation before even playing a game, many experts believe Miami will not miss a beat without Dorsey and McGahee.  

After seeing Miami score 48 points this past week against Louisiana Tech on the road, perhaps these experts are right. Berlin, a Florida transfer, threw for 203 yards with two touchdowns and an interception.  

Making his first career start, Gore ran for 118 yards. Gore and Berlin have a long way to go in order to bring the Hurricanes back to the national title game. However, a mature Berlin seems to understand this.  

\I wouldn't say it [the Hurricane performance against Louisiana Tech] was great,"" Berlin said. ""I'm glad to get it out of the way and now just ready to get on with next week."" 

With this workman-like attitude, Berlin could be the big man on campus in Miami soon. 

Also exhibiting this workman's attitude is the new starting quarterback for Texas, senior Chance Mock. After years of quarterback controversy between Major Applewhite and Chris Simms, the Texas brethren dream of a run to the national title with Mock at quarterback. 

Texas looked like a championship contender this past weekend as the Longhorns routed New Mexico 66-7. Mock threw for 156 yards and two touchdowns as the Longhorns looked impressive in all aspects of the game. 

Texas will not miss the inconsistent play of the quarterback duo of Simms and Applewhite. 

The same cannot be said of Marshall, which will probably miss the superb play of former quarterback Byron Leftwich.  

Although the Thundering Herd defeated Hofstra in its opening game, the new starting quarterback, senior Stan Hill, threw three interceptions. Marshall has had great success as of late in producing quarterbacks such as Chad Pennington and Leftwich. Hill, however, is unlikely to follow in their footsteps. 

On the defensive side of the ball, appearing to be the most glaring hole on any team, is the absence of cornerback Terrance Newman from Kansas State. Although Kansas State has a much stronger offense this year, the loss of Newman in the secondary could prove fatal. In their victory, Kansas State's defense gave up 440 yards and four touchdowns to California. 

Senior defensive back Travis Horchem and Co. will have a long season ahead of themselves if they do not stop the pass soon. The only thing right now that is saving them is their powerful offense.