Underdogs emerging in the East

While Magic forward Tracy McGrady has been a dominant force this series, the role players for Orlando have proven that the Magic are much more than a one-man team. McGrady has averaged 36.3 points per game, but the play of forward Drew Gooden and point guard Darrell Armstrong has the Magic poised to knock off the top-seeded Pistons. Detroit's center and NBA defensive player of the year Ben Wallace has not been a disappointment, this series averaging 18.8 rebounds a game. But the Detroit defense, the teams supposed specialty, has not found an answer for McGrady and the rest of the Orlando offense. Orlando can advance to the second round with a victory Wednesday night in Detroit. 

Injuries have plagued the Hornets all season and the playoffs are no exception. Hornet stars Jamal Mashburn and Baron Davis are banged up and Mashburn is more than likely out for the rest of the series. To make matters worse for the Hornets, 76ers guard Allen Iverson is averaging 37.3 points a game and is looking much more like a team player than years past. Following Monday night's victory the Sixers now hold a commanding lead and are headed back home to The First Union Center for game five. 

Celtic all-star guard Paul Pierce has almost single-handedly advanced Boston past the Pacers. Pierce had 32 points in the second half of game four as the Pacers once again blew a big lead and are now one game away from elimination. Pierce is averaging 28.0 points, 10.5 rebounds, and six assists per game to pace the Celtics. Indiana's veteran guard Reggie Miller has been unable to contribute and is averaging a meager 9.8 points per game. Pacer all-star Jermaine O'Neal is averaging 23.3 points per game, but constant foul trouble has not allowed him to take advantage of the undersized Boston front court. Boston can advance with a win Tuesday night at Conseco Fieldhouse in Indiana. 

Bucks forward Tim Thomas is proving all the critics wrong and showing why Milwaukee gave him a multi-million dollar contract. Thomas is averaging 21.3 points per game and has made countless big shots throughout the series. Recently-acquired Gary Payton has paced the Bucks with 9.8 assists per game and brings leadership that Milwaukee desperately needed. Meanwhile, the heavily favored Nets have not played as well as they did to begin the season and have relied on forward Kenyon Martin to keep them in games. Martin is averaging 24 points and 10.3 rebounds per game. So far Payton has kept Nets guard Jason Kidd in check, but all that can change Tuesday night when the series moves back to New Jersey and either team can take control of the series.