Hip hop conference back in town

This Friday marks the beginning of the fourth annual \Hip Hop as a Movement"" conference, sponsored by the Hip Hop Generation, WSUM and the Wisconsin Union Directorate. In previous years the conference has been a large success, drawing around 5,000 people from throughout the Midwest. This year the conference carries a special theme of anti-militarism. The conference, which runs over the course of three days, hopes to propagate a larger acceptance and understanding of hip-hop as a culture, to raise awareness of issues affecting young people of color through hip-hop and to aid in promoting diversity on the UW-Madison campus. 

The conference kicks off with a demonstration speaking out against the war in Iraq. The conference's focus on anti-militarism will be explored by the keynote speaker Dick Gregory, political activist and comedian. Gregory is well known for his work in the civil rights movement-he protested with Martin Luther King Jr.-and helped to draw attention to social injustice at an international level. In addition to commenting on the war, Gregory will also address the generation gap between people of the civil rights era and those who are currently hip-hop activists. 

""There is a parallel here, in terms of who is being affected by the issues in the '60s and who's being affected in the present,"" said Patricia Sultan, an organizer of Hip Hop Generation. ""We chose him in order to bridge the void."" 

Along with Gregory are numerous hip-hop artists are performing who tend to veer away from gangsta-rap lyrics in favor of more personal and socially aware commentary.  

""'Hip Hop as a Movement' shows hip-hop isn't all blunts, 40s and bitches, like most of today's mainstream rappers are,"" says Kate Ditter, UW sophomore and an attendee of last year's conference.  

One artist performing this weekend who goes against stereotyping is Eyedea, who is on Rhymesayers label. Eyedea's lyrics can be considered philosophical rap. His songs focus on topics of societal pressure and personal insight. On his release The Many Faces of Oliver Hart, he questions his own self-importance in one track, the suffering of a suicidal child prodigy in another and meeting two angels at his death, having to decide which one is honest and which one constantly lies in order to gain entrance to heaven. This is a far cry from the ""Ho"" exclamations of more well-known artists such as Ludacris. 

The performers will be found displaying a large variation of style within the genre, as each artist uses hip-hop as a form of personal expression and an outlet for their own ideology.  

""The broad spectrum of types of talent was impressive; it made me realize how broad hip-hop is and all that goes into it,"" said UW sophomore Emily Chao, of last years' performers. Individualistic forms of emceeing and deejaying will be presented in the shows on both Friday and Saturday evening. 

Not only will music be featured, but film and photography will be presented along with numerous speakers. The panelists will be discussing issues ranging from discrimination against hip hop here in Madison to hip-hop's influence on social change globally, to ideas of nationalism and patriotism in a post Sept. 11 America.  

""There is a completely new vision for what we want to see the conference look like and our expectations of what things should be run and who we should bring in,"" commented UW senior Justin Liek, volunteer organizer for Hip Hop Generation. 

The featured film ""Wild Style"" (1982) stars a pantheon of hip-hop pioneers, notably, DJ Grandmaster Flash and rapper Grand Master Caz. The film captures the South Bronx scene at hip-hop's birth. Afterward the director of ""Wild Style,"" Charlie Ahern, will present a slideshow on hip-hop culture.  

In keeping with the idea that ""Hip Hop as a Movement"" has something to offer everyone-beyond music, film and lectures-the hip-hop photographer Ernie Paniccioli will show images depicting the politics, music, and culture behind the hip-hop movement. 

The conference appeals not only to die-hard fans of the music, or politically active students, but also to anyone with a social conscience, some curiosity or a free Friday night. ""The 'Hip Hop as a Movement' conference encourages a lot of people that aren't necessarily into hip-hop to explore the issues of the culture,"" said Leik. Beyond the political aspects of ""Hip Hop as a Movement,"" the conference manages to unite thousands of people, regardless of age or race, under one common stance-an interest in good music. 

For a complete list of events, visit http://www.hiphopgeneration.org.