Conquer the cold: bowling and beer

Trying to pin down April weather in Wisconsin is like trying to explain Cher's wardrobe for a live performance: sometimes hot, usually cold and almost always unsightly. 

Although we're currently basking in the warmth of unseasonably pleasant weather, in another week or so we'll probably be knee deep in snow again. You just never know. Should the crummy, cold weather arrive again, you might as well have something to do. 

For those, like myself, who live without cable television, \doing something"" usually involves stepping out of the apartment and seeing what the world has to offer. 

Sadly, on weeknights, that doesn't amount to much. Sure, you can go to your favorite watering hole, but that gets pretty rough on the wallet (and liver) after a while. 

For a more unique weeknight excursion, you might want to give bowling a try. Badger Bowl, 506 E. Badger Road, is one of the area's best, offering 30 lanes of American Bowling Congress-approved action, plus a nightclub full of quirky diversions. 

The crowd at Badger is decidedly ""off-campus."" On any given night, you can rub elbows with the regulars, a friendly group of blue-collar, upper-30s city folk more likely to talk about NASCAR than nano-technology. 

A couple of nights ago (and about 50 degrees ago), I traveled to Badger Bowl with a date in tow and few hours to waste. My time was certainly well-spent, as there were plenty of sights to keep my wandering, journalistic eyes busy. 

On the dance floor in the bar, a crowd of about a dozen or so strolled in unison to a variety of disco and country favorites. Apparently it was line-dancing night, because the group was all business, with uniquely choreographed steps for each and every song.Although the DJ was taking requests, my choices couldn't be played since the group ""hasn't learned those ones yet."" 

The entertainment gets better for those adventurous enough to visit Badger Bowl on the weekends. The alley's nightclub is one of the best places around to watch good rock cover bands. If you're sick of hearing Bon Jovi or Van Halen on the jukebox, why not bring your spandex and Aqua Net down to Badger Bowl for a good time?  

Watching all that dancing made me hungry, so I wasted no time ordering off of Badger Bowl's menu of predictable bar food staples. Although the food is obviously more than an afterthought here, I wasn't totally blown away. 

The onion rings ($3.25) were simply outstanding, if a tad over-priced. The rings sported a light and tangy breading, and were not, as is usually the case, overcooked. 

More disappointing was the Reuben ($5.75), which was most certainly overpriced. Not only was the sandwich small, with a modest amount of corned beef sitting atop some kraut and Swiss cheese, but also it was bland and dry. All the thousand island in the world couldn't have saved that poor sandwich. 

With my expectations severely diminished after the Reuben, I got a nice surprise with the Badger Burger ($3.35). I ordered mine with cheddar cheese and fried onions, and it was one of the better bar burgers I've had in town. The patty was cooked to perfection, smoky on the outside and pink and tender in the middle. Although the seasoning on the meat wasn't superb, it wasn't anything a little ketchup and mustard couldn't fix. 

I washed my food down with a glass of the $3 Pint-Of-The-Month, which is currently Spaten Maibock. It was a pretty good buy, since the hoppy and hearty beer goes quite well with bar food. 

The Spaten also went pretty well with bowling, which, of course is the main attraction in the joint. All in all, the bowling is a pretty pleasant experience, as the management keeps the day-glo-painted lanes pretty tidy. 

Too bad my score wasn't as pretty as the decorations. My date pummeled me on the lanes, 143 to 91. Looks like I'm making a return trip. 

Even if I don't win, I can at least get some decent grub and jam out to a sweet cover of ""Panama"" with the hearty crowd at the bar.