Nation brings passive music to Mad-town

On its latest release, Inatty in Jah Music, Madison's most popular reggae band explores broad-ranging themes both lyrically and musically. A diverse representation of the reggae genre, it gives nods to older styles such as roots-rock and dub. The Daily Cardinal recently spoke with Demetrius Wainwright, bassist and lead singer of Natty Nation. 

The Daily Cardinal: You and many of your band mates grew up in Racine. What brought you to Madison? 

Demetrius Wainwright: Through trying to seek a bigger musical community and job opportunities and things of that nature. 

DC: So you think that the Madison music scene is pretty receptive to reggae music? 

DM: Very. It's a nice little reggae community we got.  

DC: Reggae seems to be growing in popularity in the Midwest. Why do you think that is? 

DM: Hopefully because we're pushing it ... And it's catching on through becoming a little more mainstream with other genres coming in with it like hip-hop.  

DC: What do you think other genres of music can contribute to reggae and vice versa? 

DM: Reggae brought hip-hop into the fold as far as using records and voicing over records and stuff like that and then the other way around. A lot of the reggae artists in Jamaica, where it originated, were doing a lot of covers of artists from the United States and from Europe. So they kind of borrowed from each other as far as lyrics, styles and things of that nature.  

DC: Who were your biggest musical influences growing up? 

DM: I'd have to say, other than family members--cousins who played instruments, those were the closest ones that you could touch and see what they're doing. And then there's other ones you can't touch, like your Stevie Wonders and things of that nature. Everybody's influenced by Stevie Wonder and Michael Jackson ... But the list is so long! I don't really have one favorite artist. 

DC: What got you started in reggae? 

DM: Basically Madison. I was interested in reggae for a long time and I've been a musician for even longer ... It kind of just came from playing music period and just being curious about other genres. 

DC: Who else do you think are the brightest lights in reggae? 

DM: We've also got Infantry Rockers in town, Tony Brown has been here for a long time holding it down. We're just continuing in his way, you know, bringing the Midwest onto the map for music period, but reggae for sure. But as far as nationally on the scene, I mean, there's a lot of people doing it. It's crazy right now. Sean Paul is bridging the gap between hip-hop and the dance hall and the reggae and things. He's definitely one of the ones that's doing it right now. Beenie Man is bringing it forward, and then there's groups that don't get much noticed. 

DC: How do you feel about the commercialization of reggae music--people like Shaggy, the fact that dreadlocks have become a fashion statement, the whole cult surrounding Bob Marley? 

DM: It could be negative or positive, but it's always positive because the whole culture is positive, so if anyone's tapping into it in any way, it's positive as long as they're not exploiting it totally. 

DC: What can we expect from your upcoming show? 

DM: We're going to play a lot of stuff on the new album, Inatty in Jah Music ... It should be a pretty long show. [The opening band is] going to play for about an hour and then we're going to play for about two hours ... It's like going to two movies for the price of one!