Cagers beat Michigan

The Wisconsin Badgers women's basketball team (4-5 Big Ten, 6-14 overall) put together their first winning streak of the year when it beat the Michigan Wolverines (2-6, 11-8) 68-56 Sunday. 

Wisconsin got its strong play from a variety of sources. For scoring, the Badgers rode the hot hand of junior center Lello Gebisa, who led the team in scoring with 16 points on 8-of-11 shooting. 

\From the get-go our plan was to go inside,"" Wisconsin Head Coach Jane Albright said. ""Our guards did a great job of pounding the ball in, and Lello did a great job of attacking the basket ... When she gets in the paint I don't think there's anyone that can guard her."" 

Lello's sister, sophomore forward Ebba Gebisa, and sophomore guard Stephanie Rich also chipped in, scoring 13 and 12 points, respectively. 

Senior forward Kristi Seeger had perhaps the best all-around game for the Badgers, scoring eight points, pulling down eight boards and dishing out five assists. 

The first half started with Michigan controlling the tempo. Wisconsin missed short baskets early while the Wolverines dominated the offensive glass, collecting 10 offensive rebounds in the first half compared to Wisconsin's four. The Badgers, though, were able to limit points scored off those rebounds to six. 

""We had 14 offensive rebounds in the game,"" Michigan Head Coach Sue Guevara said. ""But you have to be able to score off of offensive rebounds."" 

The Badgers soon turned the momentum in their favor, going on a 13-2 run midway through the first half to take the lead. The run included one three-pointer from Rich and two from sophomore guard Shawna Nicols. Nicols provided the Badgers with a huge spark off the bench. She finished the game with eight points and three assists. 

""I feel a lot more confident with the ball,"" Nicols said. ""When I'm open now, I'm thinking a lot more positively making and taking those shots."" 

In the second half, the Badgers started with an 8-0 run including two threes by Rich and Seeger. The run was symbolic of the rest of the game for the Badgers, who controlled the game from there to the end. 

""The first two minutes of the second half, I thought, really set the tempo for what we think we can be,"" Albright said.  

After a slow start to the season, the Badgers are finally picking up a little momentum. Wisconsin is 4-2 in its last six games. The team hopes to use this momentum to add a strong finish to its season.