Wisconsin's fate no longer in its hands

soccer: Sophomore midfileder Krista Liskevych and the Badgers will now have to wait and see if they will make the Big Ten Playoffs.

Businesses want busses at top of State Street

While a proposal to convert the 100 block of State Street into a pedestrian mall concerns some business and property owners, public opinion may influence the street's future. 

After receiving a majority thumbs down from the business and property owners on the 100 block, the State Street Design Project Committee requested a survey for the public and businesses. According to Susan Schmitz, president of Downtown Madison, Inc., the majority of business owners on the 100 block oppose the plan. DMI supports their position, Schmitz said.  

\They are the ones with the financial investment there,"" she said. ""They see themselves as being on a business street."" 

Sam Chehade, owner of Michaelangelo's Coffee Shop, 114 State St., said he thinks it is a mistake to prohibit traffic on the block. 

""Since they have been building the Overture they have a grand idea of what State Street is supposed to look like and it's beginning to sound like Disneyland. They want it to look all pristine and cute. Come on, this is an urban environment,"" he said. ""They are trying to close a main artery.""  

The plan impacts businesses, according to Daniel Milsted, who owns property from101 to 105 State St. He said bus traffic created 10 to 15 percent of business' daily income. 

Subtracting that 10 percent from income, that has already dropped 25 to 30 percent over the last 18 months for local businesses makes the pedestrian mall unattractive for entrepreneurs, according to Milsted. 

He added that closing the block to traffic would also make it hard for his commercial tenants to receive deliveries. 

Ted Crabb, Vice Chair of the Downtown Coordinating Committee, supports running a three-month trial period and said front door delivery would have to be allowed for certain businesses. 

""It's a wonderful concept in providing an opportunity to emphasize that State Street is a great street,"" Crabb said. 

According to Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, the mall might prohibit bicyclists from riding through the 100 block. However, Verveer said a more pleasant setting for eating at outdoor cafes free from buses would be an advantage of the proposal. 

The transit system would adapt to changes as well. Madison Metro has cooperated and offered options to the city, said Catherine Debo, Metro general manager. 

""It's feasible, although it's not viewed by transit as ideal,"" she said. ""It would be somewhat more expensive."" 

According to Bill Fruhling, city planner, the survey is available to everyone on the city Web site at http://www.ci.madison.wi.us/statestreet/mallSurvey.htm. 

""The committe wants to get a clear understanding of why people are for and against this, not just a simple thumbs up or thumbs down,"" he said.