Football to go to Alamo Bowl

The Badger football team will play in the Alamo Bowl Dec. 28 in San Antonio, Texas, University of Wisconsin Athletics Director Pat Richter announced Tuesday. 

\I'm thrilled and I think our players are thrilled and I anticipate our fans will be excited about it,"" Head Coach Barry Alvarez said. ""It's great for our program and I think it will be something that we really need for our football team.""  

Wisconsin will face an opponent from the Big 12 in the game, although its opponent will be determined after Saturday's Big 12 Conference Championship game. Wisconsin could potentially face the University of Oklahoma, Colorado University, Texas Tech or Kansas State.  

The announcement came with much relief for a football team that went 2-6 in the Big Ten and 7-6 overall.  

""There was a lot of anxiety, just waiting to see who we played and where we played,"" sophomore defensive back Jim Leonhard said.  

Alvarez will make his eighth bowl appearance as Wisconsin's head coach. He is currently 6-1 in bowl games, including Rose Bowl wins in 1994, 1999 and 2000. 

The early decision will not only benefit the team but fans interested in attending the game as well.  

""I'm happy to know right now,"" Alvarez said. ""Now it allows us to make plans ... just to know that we can go ahead and move forward with it."" 

Tickets will go on sale Dec. 5 at 8:30 a.m. for all UW-Madison student season ticket holders, who may purchase two tickets for each student identification card. Student tickets are $45.50 each and will be distributed on a first-come, first-serve basis. Fans can also pick up tickets through the bowl's Web site at http://www.alamobowl.com.