Wolverines prey on Badgers

ANN ARBOR, Mich.'With Wisconsin's 21-14 loss to Michigan, the senior class, including quarterback Brooks Bollinger, center Al Johnson, left tackle Ben Johnson and defensive lineman Jake Sprague could not complete what it set out to do: beat Michigan (6-1 Big Ten, 9-2 overall). After four years of Big Ten football, the Wolverines remain the only team in the conference the senior class has not defeated.  

Wisconsin (1-6, 6-6), who rode on the wave of five straight victories early in the season, must now win its last home game next weekend against Minnesota in order to become eligible for a bowl game.  

UW's bowl hopes may be set back by the loss but the team played a well-fought game against a tough Michigan defense. The Badgers overcame two quick Wolverine touchdowns early in the first quarter to tie the game at the half.  

In its opening drive, Michigan marched down the field, aided by junior running back Chris Perry and senior fullback B.J. Askew, who dove into the end zone after a 27-yard run. Michigan put UW behind by a touchdown in only five plays. 

UW opened its drive by returning starters Bollinger and sophomore running back Anthony Davis to the field, both of whom sat out against Illinois due to injuries. Davis fumbled the ball on the first play of Wisconsin's possession and it was picked up by Michigan outside linebacker senior Victor Hobson. Perry, who had 75 rushing yards, later drove it in for the Wolverines' second touchdown.  

The Badgers, down by 14, recovered by the end of the first half, as sophomore defensive back and return man Jim Leonhard ran a Michigan punt to the end zone to put Wisconsin on the board, 14-7.  

\He really gave us good field position and really swung the momentum to us,"" Wisconsin Head Coach Barry Alvarez said.  

Leonhard continued to use his talents, as he picked up a Michigan fumble. However, the following Wisconsin drive resulted in a punt by sophomore R.J. Morse.  

Davis also had a solid game, contributing 154 rushing yards, including a two-yard touchdown for Wisconsin in the second quarter.  

""I thought it was great,"" Bollinger said on Davis' performance. ""He's obviously been through some things and he came out really focused and ran so hard today. It was an impressive performance by him, and him and the offensive line gave us a chance to win.""  

Although Wisconsin's running game produced decent yards, its receiving corps put up more anemic numbers, recording only seven catches for 20 yards. Bollinger attempted to connect with freshman wide receiver and Detroit native Jonathon Orr for the big plays the Badgers needed. However two crucial incomplete passes from Bollinger to Orr could have resulted in UW touchdowns, as Orr was positioned in the end zone both times.  

""In a game like this, you're going to come in here and try to upset a good football team and you have to make some of those plays and we didn't make enough of them,"" Alvarez said.  

Wisconsin's defense also performed well, forcing three Wolverine turnovers. Sophomore defensive back Scott Starks picked off two passes from junior quarterback John Navarre.  

However, the defense could not contain Michigan, as it scored a touchdown on a long drive. Michigan walked down the field, starting from its own 22-yard-line, using the talents of Askew and senior tight end Bennie Joppru, who had 45 receiving yards. Sophomore wide receiver Braylon Edwards found the end zone on an eight-yard Navarre pass to win the game for Michigan.  

Wisconsin attempted a scoring drive late in the fourth quarter, but Bollinger's pass to sophomore wide receiver Darrin Charles went over his head and ended UW's hopes of finally defeating Michigan.