Baldwin, Greer enthusiastic about prospects

As their campaigns head into their final days, Wisconsin's second congressional district candidates, U.S. Rep. Tammy Baldwin, D-Madison, and Republican Ron Greer, remain optimistic about the election, according to spokespeople for both camps. 

\We think it's going great,"" said Karin Johanson, a spokesperson for the Baldwin campaign. 

Greer's campaign workers are equally enthusiastic. 

""We're working hard in the last days making sure to get people out to the polls,"" said Daniel Breed, campaign manager for the Greer campaign. 

Both Johanson and Breed said their candidates are actively targeting the city of Madison and the UW-Madison campus. 

""We had two lit drops this weekend, and Sunday alone we dropped 85,000 pieces of literature in the city of Madison,"" Johanson said.  

Baldwin relied heavily on the student vote to win her first congressional race, according to David Canon, political science professor at UW-Madison. 

""It was definitely a key part of her campaign and her victory,"" Canon said. 

Not only are the candidates targeting the UW-Madison campus, but both spokespeople also emphasized the importance of student volunteers in running a successful campaign. 

""We just have an army of volunteers, many fabulous student volunteers, and we are very well organized,"" Johanson said.  

Breed said students chalked and did lit drops for the Greer campaign. However, Canon said he hadn't noticed much of a Ron Greer presence on campus. 

Recently, Baldwin has questioned the character of the Greer campaign. 

Breed said what the Baldwin campaign perceived as negative was simply a presentation of Baldwin's voting record. 

""Anyone that's trying to take down an incumbent has got to point to votes. If they want to call that negative, that's fine, but we call it showing people how Tammy Baldwin votes and how she represents them,"" Breed said. 

While both candidates remain optimistic about the outcome of the election, Canon said a victory by Baldwin is nearly certain. 

""She's outspent him by a huge margin and the district is more Democratic than it was in 2000 so I think she should win pretty handily,"" Canon said.