Israel supporters gather on Library Mall

A Hillel-sponsored rally celebrating Israeli independence turned into a well attended and impromptu forum late Wednesday afternoon on Library Mall. 

Counterdemonstrators, who came in support of a Palestinian state, peacefully protested the rally while attendees on both sides of the issue cited personal convictions as reasons for their activism Wednesday. 

\I have always been interested in coming [to these demonstrations], but I just found out some of a close friend's family were killed in Jenin [in the West Bank] and that struck me,"" said Heather Allen, a UW-Madison senior and pro-Palestinian attendee. ""It made it real for me. It made the violence real."" 

Similar sentiments were expressed by those in the pro-Israeli group who came to show solidarity with Israel. 

""I'm Jewish and I've been to Israel,"" UW-Madison senior Rachel Cohen said. ""I think it's important for Israel to see people support them around the world."" 

Both sides agreed that counterdemonstrations, like the one held by pro-Palestinians last night, are an essential part of these situations by presenting all points of view. 

""I think counterdemonstrations make a forum to communicate,"" Allen said. ""They are not merely antagonistic."" 

Bennett concurred, saying the counterdemonstrators are a part of open interaction. 

""I think that freedom of speech is very important. Every side has a right to demonstrate and get their point across,"" Bennett said. ""As long as both sides respect each other, [counterdemonstrations] cannot detract."" 

Misinformation and a lack of education were cited by all involved as roadblocks to dialogue on hot-button issues like the Palestinian-Israeli conflict. 

""Our purpose is also to educate, to get the message out. A lot of stereotypes are perpetuated and a lot of the speakers today are out to correct that,"" Bennett said. 

Members of the counterdemonstration also spoke to the need to overcome misconceptions in order to understand the situation and make an informed judgment. 

""A lot of times I read stuff in the paper, hear stuff in class. ... They oversimplify the situation to make it go away,"" Khan said. ""Knowledge is a big thing."" 

A panel discussion featuring representatives from groups on both sides of the conflict occurred Wednesday night following the rally at Chadbourne Residential College. 

Individuals in attendance said they saw the forums as unique in their ability to open discourse among students specifically. 

""If you are walking around campus, no one is wearing their pro-Palestinian shirt or pro-Israeli shirt. These [events] help people talk about the issues,"" Allen said. 

Despite their differences, both groups said they sought a peaceful resolution to the conflict. 

Sam Khazai, a UW-Madison senior is of Muslim faith. He spoke at the rally and conveyed his hope that peace can be a reality for all in the Middle East region despite religious beliefs. 

""This is a call to every person, to everyone who says enough is enough,"" Khazai said.