Elections draw record turnout

This spring's Associated Students of Madison election marked a record voter turnout and a close race between the two major party slates, Real Education Access Can Happen and the Badger Party. 

The REACH Party won 12 seats while the Badger Party won 9. 

Voter turnout increased to 12 percent, up from about 11 percent last spring, a number ASM student election chair and UW-Madison senior Clara Janis attributed to several factors, including \incredible poll workers."" 

""I'm not as happy as I had hoped,"" she said. ""We had hoped for a 15 percent turnout but we're still really happy to set a record."" 

UW-Madison sophomore Aaron Werner, a member of the Badger Party, won the most votes of any position in the election for his spot on the Student Services Finance Committee. His votes totaled 2,737. UW-Madison senior Gladys Reyes, a member of the REACH Party, won the other open seat on SSFC, with 1,649 votes, the second-highest count of any position. 

UW-Madison senior Kyle Tromblee, a member of the Badger Party, won the most votes for an L&S seat on the Council with 971, followed by sophomore Austin Evans with 955 and freshman Jackie Helmrick with 869. 

Tromblee said he would work to get a 24-hour library and segregated fees that were controlled better. 

He added that he was not surprised the REACH Party won the most seats. 

""The REACH Party definitely campaigned their butts off,"" Tromblee said. ""I saw their propaganda everywhere."" 

UW-Madison senior Carl Camacho, a REACH Party member, won senior class president and treasurer positions, along with an L&S seat. 

""I'm satisfied,"" Camacho said. 

Camacho said some of the things he wants to see ASM representatives accomplish during the next school year include encouraging students to vote in the 2002 gubernatorial elections and increasing financial aid. 

UW-Madison junior Roman Patzner, who was elected senior class vice president with 670 votes, said he was looking forward to working on commencement projects like bringing accomplished speakers to the event. 

""I feel very happy that the junior-senior class felt I'd serve as a good representative,"" Patzner said.  

He also said he would like members on the Council and on SSFC to ""really evaluate the different student groups on campus and student services"" in order to help maintain funding for different campus services.  

UW-Madison senior Andre Jacque was elected senior class secretary. 

Kyle Tromblee, Badger (971) 

Austin Evans (955) 

Jackie Helmrick (869) 

Aaron Werner, Badger (2,737) 

Gladys Reyes, REACH (1,649) 

Jessica Kim, REACH (135) 

Steven Weiss (209) 

Dan Dogs (186) 

Andrew Christenson, Badger (172) 

'See http://www.asm.wisc.edu/ for a full list of results.