Chi Phi to remember lost brother with prayer service

A picture of Jon Bilda with a huge smile on his face is a perfect portrayal of the person he was, according to Luke Dixon, a UW-Madison junior and president of the Chi Phi fraternity of which Bilda was a member. 

Bilda, who died unexpectedly April 6, was a 23-year-old UW-Madison senior. He died of sudden onset diabetes in his hometown in the Milwaukee area after returning for spring break about two weeks ago. At the time he returned home, Bilda was suffering from mononucleosis.  

Younger members of the fraternity reflected on Bilda and his presence in Chi Phi. 

\He had a lot of heart; we're going to miss him, that's for sure,"" said UW-Madison sophomore Carl Obligato.  

Obligato said there were Chi Phi alumni flying in from across the United States for memorial services that will be held in the Milwaukee area beginning today. 

""The turnout is going to be unbelievable at the services ... because he made such an impact and touched so many people in so many ways it's unreal,"" Obligato said. 

Andrew Murachver, a UW-Madison junior, said Bilda was very responsible for recruitment at their fraternity since he was so outgoing and always the first person to talk to new pledges. 

""John was always around when I was pledging,"" Murachver said. ""He cared a lot about his friends, a lot about his brothers, about the community, school."" 

Even though he was about to graduate, Bilda still really cared about his fraternity, Murachver said. 

""He always had that smile on his face no matter where he was or what he was doing or who he was with,"" Dixon said. 

According to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, there will be a visitation today from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. with a vigil prayer service at 6:30 p.m. at the Schmidt and Bartlet Funeral Home, 10121 W. North Ave. in Wauwatosa.  

Visitation is Thursday at Three Holy Women-St. Hedwig, 1702 N. Humboldt. from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m., after which there will be a funeral mass, committal and burial at Holy Cross Cemetery.