Bill of Rights for advisers, students

Most of the evidence regarding the successes and failures of UW-Madison's advising services is primarily anecdotal, and the range of student satisfaction through these accounts is as varied as the majors offered, from accounting to zoology. 

That said, roadblocks to a better advising process need to be cleared from both sides'from students as well as the advising department. To this end, we propose a contract between students and advisers to improve overall understanding and contentment with the process. 

First, to students: 

• You have the right to an adviser with a basic understanding of the university's graduation requirements. This extends to a knowledge of the distinctions between the bachelor of arts and bachelor of science degrees, how to meet the breadth requirements and credit rules for the various requirements.
  • You have the right to expect knowledge of major-specific requirements and exemptions from a department adviser. When the journalism school requires 12 credits of upper-level social science courses, students should receive accurate advice to meet the major's demands.
  • You have the right to meet with an adviser, if you've given your adviser a reasonable amount of time to schedule a meeting. Registration appointment times go out to students well before class scheduling begins. Students who contact an adviser shortly after receiving a registration time deserve a meeting with an adviser in which they can receive advice according to the aforementioned guidelines.

Second, to advisers: 

• You have the right to not know everything. Given this, however, please be sure to use the resources at your disposal to help students get the information necessary for a major's completion.
  • You have the right to expect student effort in the advising process. The College of Agriculture and Life Science requires students to meet with advisers on a semester-to-semester basis. Students under different advising systems must actively take steps to receive academic counseling. Advisers are not responsible for initiating advising sessions with the university's thousands of students.

However, these rights do not come without responsibilities. 

Advisers, please make the effort to better publicize your services to students. On a campus of 40,000 students, one can easily get lost and miss opportunities to improve his or her academic experience. 

Students, you have the responsibility to take up problems with the system to advisers.  

Combining the efforts of students and advisers through the establishment of a consistent and comprehensive advising feedback process would improve advising services through increased understanding.