Author Wiesel talks about Holocaust, anti-Semitism, Mideast unrest

World-renowned author, Holocaust survivor and Nobel Peace Prize recipient Elie Wiesel addressed an audience of several thousand at the Orpheum Theatre, 216 State St., Tuesday night as part of the Distinguished Lecture Series. 

Wiesel spoke of experiences that touched his life and inspired him to write some of his books, including his first book, \Night,"" written 10 years after World War II ended, which described the Nazi concentration camps. 

""I needed time to find the proper words,"" he said.  

For Wiesel, writing about the Holocaust is important in order to encourage other survivors to write about their experiences. 

""I feel that every survivor has a story'has the authority to write a story,"" he said. 

Wiesel also referred to the current situation in the Middle East and said he supports Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, with whom he met last week, because he does not see any other options, adding that he also supports President Bush's actions in the war against terrorism. 

Later in his address, Wiesel spoke of anti-Semitism, as well as the effects of intolerance. 

""Hatred is like cancer,"" he said. ""It goes from cell to cell, from limb to limb, from person to person, from community to community'if not stopped.""  

Wiesel, who spoke in Madison 10 years ago, said before his speech that he particularly enjoys speaking on campuses and that there are two ideas he hopes students get out of his speech. 

""First of all, to know the difference between information and knowledge,"" he said. ""And second, what it means for Jewish youngsters to be Jewish, and those who aren't Jewish to know the authenticity of their being."" 

UW-Madison sophomore Stephanie Hirshcorn said attending Wiesel's speech was important to her on a personal level. 

""My grandparents were Holocaust survivors, so it's always been really important to me,"" she said. 

UW-Madison sophomore Lauren Weitz said it is important for her to hear Wiesel because he is a figure for the Jewish community. 

""Part of my childhood was reading his books, and I think it should be important for everyone to read at least one or two,"" she said. 

At the end of his speech, Wiesel implored youth ""just to care'period,"" about the significance of Holocaust and the past and how it relates to today. 

""This is your century'not mine'yours,"" he said. ""And I say to you with all the sincerity that's in me, you can still shape its destiny. Don't ask me how. Another time.\