Letters to the Editor

I am writing this letter about the topic of Black History Month. I cannot think of more of an insult to throw at African Americans of this country. If there are people out there who do not understand this, think about it. Black history is white history. One month out of the year we talk about the great people of color and just put it away until the shortest month next year. Please be a little more rude to these famous people who helped carve out this great nation. There needs to be more emphasis in getting the textbooks corrected to state the real way this country was built. Christopher Columbus was a murderer. He was sent here to pillage this land and take it back to Europe. Let me see that in a high school history text. It would be nice to see these things changed and maybe attitudes towards people of color would change and racism and prejudice could be lessened. Thank you. 

A new unconstitutional bill has passed through the trenches of Congress. As if young people do not have enough restrictions placed on them, the new bill, HR 2356, or the Shays-Meehan campaign finance reform bill, specifically prohibits minors from contributing to political parties or candidates.  

In the case of Shays-Meehan, \It was just poor bill writing,"" according to ballot access expert Richard Winger.  

Shays-Meehan would have been better if it had limited underage students to contributions of, say, $100 rather than making even $1 illegal. Under the current proposal, Shays-Meehan makes it illegal for a person under 18 to give a political party even $1. And if there are political party youth clubs, too bad. 

Too much legislation, too little time. The politicians don't even know what they are voting for these days. Just another reason I'll be voting Libertarian in November.