State Street redesign committee addresses aesthetic concerns

Street artwork, new bus stops and the planting of new trees will all be topics on the agenda of today's State Street Design Project meeting, held by the Downtown Coordinating Committee. 

Madison residents will also have the opportunity to voice their concerns and opinions regarding the plan. 

The committee intends to discuss lighting options, seating, construction phases and the \scroll,"" artwork that will run down the center of the sidewalk. It will also present updates on the tree design and the hiring of an independent arborist.  

In addition, the committee will address the new light and transparent bus-shelter design, which was greeted without much excitement by residents who attended last week's meeting, according to Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4. 

Catherine Debo, general manager of the Madison Metro, said those artistic designs are still only in their conceptual stages. 

City Planner Bill Fruhling added that the main concern with the current bus stops is that they are too plain. 

""The committee is looking for designs that are simple yet interesting,"" he said. ""They should bring focus to the buildings on the street."" 

Verveer said bus shelters are a critical aspect to the look of the street. 

""Most people would agree the current bus shelters are bulky, brick constructions that take up too much space, narrowing the street and making them hard for the public to utilize,"" he said. 

The committee is looking for designs that are light and open so that people can see in and out, according to city officials. They should be easier to repair than the old ones, ""small and sleek,"" but large enough to accommodate wheelchairs.  

Last week some residents also emphasized that the bus stops should be enclosed on all four sides because of the freezing Wisconsin winters.  

""It would be nice to see UW students [at the meeting] since they are the main utilizers of the bus system ,"" Verveer said.  

The meeting will be held at 5 p.m. in the Marquee Room of the Civic Center, 211 State St.