ALRC approves measure to regulate alcohol delivery; Council vote tonight

Madison residents may soon face a new hurdle in their party planning as the Alcohol License Review Committee passed a proposal Monday night that would place increased stipulations on the delivery of alcohol.  

The City Council will vote on the ordinance at its meeting tonight where ALRC chair and author of the proposal Ald. Tim Bruer, District 14, said he expects the measure to pass with overwhelming success. 

The ordinance would require those purchasing more than one bottle of alcohol to do so in person, present two forms of identification and sign a receipt prior to delivery. For the transaction to be complete, the same person would also have to be present at the point of delivery and sign another receipt to be kept on file and made available at the request of law enforcement or the ALRC. 

According to Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, the ordinance is a more of an impediment to liquor delivery establishments and especially to the deliverers who would have more responsibilities. But he said that these regulations would not be much of a hassle for customers. 

\The new ordinance should not be a burden for the average UW student, this is just mandating certain procedures on liquor deliveries,"" he said. 

ALRC member and co-sponsor of the ordinance Ald. Kent Palmer, District 15, said he thinks the measure is a good first step toward a responsible alcohol policy. 

""[The ordinance] will help keep large quantities of alcohol out of the hands of underage drinkers,"" he said. 

The committee also passed two amendments to the bill introduced by Palmer. The first amendment specified that the receipts must be kept on file for two years from the date of purchase, while the other change clarified that liquor deliveries do not have to be paid for on the spot. 

Verveer said Palmer's latter amendment would allow liquor sales to be billed to an account. 

""A number of fraternities and other student organizations already have accounts at liquor stores and the amendment will allow for this to continue,"" he said. 

Susan Crowley, director of Prevention Services for University Health Services, said she is in favor of the proposal. 

""[The ordinance] is one tool we need to encourage safe drinking as well as increase accountability,"" she said. 

According to Palmer, the ordinance also builds safeguards by making alcohol abuse easier to track. 

""If a minor dies in a car crash, [the ordinance] gives protection and comfort to the [liquor store] owners,"" he said. 

Despite the committee's proposal, Verveer said he is relieved that the regulations will not make it impossible to purchase alcohol for delivery. 

""I don't want to ban liquor deliveries,"" he said.