Police arrest man for one of two downtown assaults

Following two separate attacks in the downtown Madison area this weekend, police have arrested one man and are pursuing a suspect in the second incident. 

The first attack, on a 21-year-old woman, a Madison resident, occurred shortly after 8 p.m. Thursday. 

While walking on the 500 block of West Wilson Street, the victim was approached from behind. As she turned, the man following her hit her several times on the head, shoulders and back with a three-foot section of PVC pipe. 

Her screams alerted between four and six neighbors who came to her aid and pursued the suspect for several blocks before losing him. 

Police officers later arrested Daniel Ratliff, 30, in conjunction with the attack. He was charged with reckless injury and probation violation and is still in police custody in the Dane County Jail. 

The victim, who suffered a broken nose, numerous cuts requiring stitches on her face and bruises on her back and limbs, was treated and released from a local hospital. 

No motive has been found for this attack. The victim stated that there was no attempt to take her purse and nothing was said by the perpetrator. 

The second incident occurred early Saturday morning, on the 500 block of State Street, around 4:30 a.m. The attacker, an average-sized black woman in her mid to late thirties dressed in a white shirt and dark pants, approached the 21-year-old victim, who was also a Madison resident. An argument ensued, after which the attacker lunged at the victim and stabbed him four times in the upper chest before fleeing the scene. 

The victim's injuries were later judged to be non-life-threatening. He stated that he never saw the weapon, but a broken bottle located at the scene is believed to have been used in the attack. 

The investigation is continuing, and over the weekend police have not reported that any arrests have been made in conjunction with this case.