Wiley outlines new plans, addresses old problems

UW-Madison Chancellor John Wiley held the first of what may be periodic press conferences Wednesday in Bascom Hall. Wiley took the opportunity to make a flurry of announcements, as well as to offer his perspective on various topics affecting the university. 

\I thought that I would try, at least on an experimental basis, news briefings,"" Wiley said. 

Wiley laid out the initial priorities of the university, ranging from pushing UW-Madison's budget through the state Legislature to completing its investigation of the Shoe Box scandal. 

The idea of holding news conferences arose from Wiley's attitude entering the office, University Communications Director Patrick Strickler said. 

The event attracted a who's who of university administration, including numerous deans and assistant deans, vice chancellors, university communications members, and others. 

""What you saw today is very typical of John. He's very communicative,"" said Phillip Farrell, Dean of the Medical School and newly appointed vice chancellor for medical affairs. ""He puts his cards right on the table. He's candid and he's extremely skillful at conversations."" 

The significant changes Wiley announced include a merger of the University Publications Office and University Communications, the university's public relations office, and an effort to increase the Athletics Department's involvement in university issues. 

Wiley said the reason he decided to merge the two departments was a result of extreme overlap between the departments. He said the decision was unrelated to the discovery that University Publications had altered a photo on the 2001-'02 Undergraduate Admissions Booklet to include an African-American. 

University Publications had taken photos from University Communications' Web site and altered them to create the cover. University Communications immediately said it did not condone the actions University Publications had taken. 

However, with the two departments working together, ""It's less likely that those things are going to happen,"" Wiley said. 

The merger is not expected to result in a loss of jobs, Wiley said. He added that this is ""the first of many things I will be putting together."" 

Citing the Athletics Department's size and high visibility, Wiley said he was taking steps to further integrate the department into the university. Wiley has said Athletics Director Pat Richter and Deputy Athletics Department Director Vince Sweeney will serve as members of different administrative committees. 

Wiley said the decision was not related to the Shoe Box investigation, which involved athletes receiving footwear discounts from the Shoe Box, a discount shoe store in Black Earth, Wis. 

""I've wondered for some time why the athletics department wasn't involved in some of these meetings,"" he said. ""The hope is that Pat and I won't be surprised by anything."" 

Wiley also listed as one of the most pressing priorities for the university the Shoe Box investigation, which it expects to have completed shortly. 

""We will take whatever corrective steps may be indicated in that report,"" Wiley said.  

Another hot issue is how the UW System's budget proposal will fare in the state Legislature. The request includes funding for the second phase of the Madison Initiative, which intends to increase strategic hires at UW-Madison. 

""Obviously one of our highest priorities right now ... is making sure we get through the state budget process in good shape,"" he said. ""I've met with leadership on both sides of the aisle ... and everyone says to us that this remains a high priority."" 

After increasing pressure from United Students Against Sweatshops, Wiley said workers' rights still remain a high priority. 

He said the best way for the university to act out against sweatshop labor is through its participation in multi-university organizations and not individually. 

""I think we have been a leader, probably even more so than students give us credit for,"" he said. ""What I don't intend to do is ... weigh in on each and every specific alleged instance throughout the world."" 

UW-Madison needs to increase its cooperation with other universities within the UW System, Wiley said. Along this line, Wiley said he has scheduled a series of meetings with UW-Milwaukee Chancellor Nancy Zimpher to devise ways for the universities to work together. 

""There are many ways we can capitalize on our shared academic strengths, in areas like health care, global studies, energy policy and urban public education,"" Wiley said. 

Wiley announced the members of his transition team and said the transition has been proceeding as expected. He said he expected the members appointed to the Provost Search and Screen Committee would produce a short list of national candidates by the end of May so a new provost can replace Interim Provost Gary Sandefur, who has said he is not interested in the permanent position.