UHS promoted their mental health resources on Monday, World Suicide Prevention Day.

UHS, student organizations take part in World Suicide Prevention Day

University Health Services partnered with multiple UW-Madison student organizations to spread awareness about suicide prevention Monday.

UHS, along with the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, the National Alliance on Mental Illness and Badger SPILL joined on Bascom Hill where a display of mental health awareness posters was set up. There were also volunteers providing information on suicide prevention resources, including UHS’ no cost, confidential mental health resources and the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline.

UHS also hosted a screening of The S Word, a documentary that follows the stories of suicide attempt survivors. This film was free to all UW-Madison students, faculty and staff.

UHS' Suicide Prevention Coordinator Valerie Donovan said the movie was chosen because it opens up a conversation about how suicide can be prevented. 

“The film builds momentum for the national movement to end the shame and stigma associated with suicide,” Donovan said.

UHS will host events throughout September, the month that is globally known as Suicide Prevention Awareness Month.

Through UHS, students can participate in an online or in-person suicide prevention training. Students can also sign a pledge to be stigma-free at UW-Madison.

This is the second year that UHS has engaged in a month-long initiative for suicide prevention. Donovan said it was more powerful than last year because of the collaboration with other organizations on campus.

“We can do a lot more work together than we can do on our own,” Donovan said. “By having these partnerships with others on campus we can have a much greater reach and a better strategic approach to suicide prevention.”