State advocates condemn advancement of Kavanaugh confirmation

Sexual assault and abuse survivor groups in Wisconsin and across the country have condemned the decision of the U.S. Senate judiciary committee to advance the confirmation of Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court.

Despite an emotional testimony from Christine Blasey Ford, who accuses Kavanaugh of sexually assaulting her as a high schooler, the committee voted Friday to advance the confirmation to the Senate floor for a final vote.

“Dr. Ford demonstrated tremendous bravery in her testimony yesterday,” the Wisconsin Coalition Against Sexual Assault said in a statement. “Her courage prompted more survivors to share their stories. Unfortunately, the message the Judiciary Committee sent today is that Dr. Ford is lying. This is exactly the reason that so many survivors do not report their assault.”

Ford recounted in graphic detail to the Senate committee how Kavanaugh, along with a friend of his, allegedly locked her in a room at a house party and groped her, while holding his hand over her mouth to silence her screams.

“Dr. Ford, Julie Swetnick, and the other accusers of Brett Kavanaugh have sacrificed their privacy, safety and normal lives in order to speak their truth,” Patty Seger, executive director of End Domestic Abuse Wisconsin, said Friday. “Their principled stand is nothing less than an act of heroism, and Dr. Ford’s testimony is deserving of nothing less than full consideration by the 100 members of the US Senate who now hold the future of Judge Kavanaugh’s appointment in their hands.”

Several moderate Republican senators, notably U.S. Sen. Jeff Flake of Utah, voted to advance Kavanaugh’s nomination, but claimed to do so under the understanding that the Senate floor vote would be delayed to allow an investigation to take place.

But with Republican leadership eager to place another conservative on the Supreme Court, it would be extremely unlikely that they would cooperate with a further delay of confirmation.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., has the vote on pace for this Tuesday.