State Superintendent Tony Evers wins in the closest governor election Wisconsin has seen in over 50 years.

Primary elections result in few upsets

With partisan nominations for governor, U.S. Senate, lieutenant governor, Congress and most of the state Legislature on the line, more Wisconsinites turned out to vote in Tuesday’s primary election than any primary since 2002.

Most major races saw longtime frontrunners pull away with expected victories.

Democratic primary for governor

State superintendent Tony Evers, who has been a consistent leader in name recognition, polls and party backing, pulled out a convincing win.

With over 41 percent of the vote, Evers, a former school teacher, gathered more than twice the support of his opponents, trailed by firefighters’ union head Mahlon Mitchell with 16 percent and former state Rep. Kelda Roys with 13 percent.

No other candidate received support from more than 10 percent of voting Democrats.

"I will take the fight to Scott Walker but I will also be equally passionate about the issues," Evers said, emphasizing his background in education as something Gov. Scott Walker has “failed at.”

Republican primary for Senate

In what many saw as the most contentious and bitter partisan primary, state Sen. Leah Vukmir, R-Brookfield, narrowly defeated Kevin Nicholson, a former marine, 49 percent to 43 percent.

Vukmir, with full backing of the state GOP and endorsements of many prominent Republicans, faced a tough campaign against Nicholson, who was able to sway many influential donors to his corner.

“Tonight confirms there’s no substitute for the grassroots — and I’m humbled to have their support,” Vukmir said in a statement. “Voters sent a clear message that we want to take our Wisconsin Way, our economic miracle and our strong conservative victories to Washington and help President Trump make America great again. That’s exactly what I intend to do."

After a campaign filled with negative ads from both sides, Vukmir hopes to rally the GOP base behind her to unseat U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin, who has held a commanding lead against both her and Nicholson in the polls.

Democratic primary for lieutenant governor

Former state Rep. Mandela Barnes defeated Sheboygan businessman Kurt Kober, 68 to 32 percent, and will join Evers on the Democrats ticket to face sitting Gov. Scott Walker and Lt. Gov. Rebecca Kleefisch in November.

Barnes was long seen as a party favorite. He emphasized the importance of building a strong, progressive policy agenda to meaningfully challenge Walker.

“While Republicans continue their efforts to divide us, Democrats must come together and lead with a vision,” Barnes said. “I look forward to campaigning alongside Tony Evers to elect Democrats up and down ticket all across the state to ensure a better path forward for Wisconsin communities and families.”

Democratic primary for Assembly District 77

In the sole competitive primary in the Madison area, Shelia Stubbs, a Dane County supervisor, won the Democratic nomination to replace retiring state Rep. Terese Berceau in representing the 77th Assembly District.

Endorsed early on by Berceau herself, Stubbs fought off a challenge by immigration lawyer Shabnam Lotfi, who won 36 percent of the vote, as well as Mark Garthwaite and John Imes, who won 8 and 6 percent, respectively.

Stubbs gathered 50 percent of the primary vote.