Ald. Matt Phair, District 20, announced he would not seek re-election to the city council in order to spend more time with his family.

Madison city council expresses opposition to upcoming referendum

An April 3 referendum set to be be voted on by Wisconsinites statewide regarding the elimination of the office of the state treasurer has drawn ire from the Madison Common Council.

A resolution authored by Ald. Mark Clear, District 19, urges Madison residents to vote “no” on the resolution, keeping the office in place.

Wisconsin has had a state treasurer since its founding in 1848, however many of the responsibilities of the position have since been eliminated.

Republican Sen. Dan Feyen wrote to the Senate Committee on Financial Services, Constitution and Federalism in Feb. 2017 that the office has no reason to exist because many of the treasurer’s original responsibilities had been transferred where they could be “better executed.”

The current treasurer, Matt Adamczyk, ran in 2014 on the platform of eliminating the office and its duties.

Madison Common Council believes the office’s watchdog duties need to be restored.

“The next State Treasurer should focus on providing independent information to the public about the state’s budget and fiscal health, as well as encouraging the legislature to restore the position’s financial oversight authority,” Clear said in a press release.

As it stands, the treasurer's only job is to serve on the Board of Commissioners of Public Land.

Save Our Fiscal Watchdog, a movement launched by former treasurer Jack Voight has been working to educate voters about the referendum and argue against its support.

If the referendum is passed, the treasurer’s seat on the board would be replaced by the lieutenant governor.