Badger Market was one of the three stores in Memorial Union that closed due to a clogged pipe.

Clogged pipe closes Memorial Union cafés, allows for facility enhancements

A clogged pipe in Memorial Union Oct. 2 led to the temporary closure of three eateries on the east side of the building.

According to Memorial Union Communications Director Shauna Breneman, the clogged pipe was caused by visitors flushing baby wipes and menstrual pads down toilets. As a result, the Daily Scoop, Peet’s Coffee and Badger Market were closed Oct. 2.

“The vast majority of the work that [that was being done] over the time that these units are closed was cleaning up,” Breneman said. “We wanted to ensure we provided the safest, cleanest facilities possible.”

While Peet’s Coffee and the Daily Scoop reopened on Oct. 4, Badger Market remains closed for the time being to allow for enhancements to the facility.

“Badger Market is going to be closed a little bit longer as we’re really aiming to use this time to enhance the services offered by Badger Market,” Breneman said.

Enhancements include installing a waterline and sink in Badger Market to allow the provision of drip coffee, a service not previously offered at the market, according to Breneman.

Badger Market is projected to reopen later this week.