ASM sued for violating Council bylaws during divestment vote last spring

Student Judiciary will preside over the hearing on Monday, Oct. 2nd.

Three UW-Madison Jewish students are suing the Associated Students of Madison’s Student Council for violating ASM bylaws by acting on legislation that would have required the university to divest from Israeli companies on the same day it was brought forth last year.

The petitioners, Ori Etzion, Hilary Miller and Sari Mishell, want to nullify the vote and passage of the divestment legislation at the April 26 meeting.

“The legislation voted upon was dramatically different than the version publicized before the meeting and, therefore, it had not been publicly noticed as required by the bylaws and open meeting laws,” the complaint stated.

ASM Rep. Denzel Bibbs is the only member of the 23rd session required to attend the upcoming hearing. Vice Chief Justice of Student Judiciary, Ben Smith, said this was because Bibbs was the only one who was involved in writing and amending the legislation and still holds a position on ASM.

As the respondent in the case, ASM Chair Katrina Morrison must produce “all written documentation and communication in relation to all discussions, public and private,” relating to the divestment legislation.

The hearing will take place at 8:30pm on Monday, Oct. 2. Vice Chief Justice Ben Smith will act as the presiding justice.