UW-Madison alumnus Matthew Desmond won the Pulitzer Prize in General Non-Fiction for his book, “Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City.” The book served as the UW Go Big Read book for the 2016-2017 program.

UW-Madison alumnus pulls in Pulitzer for Go Big Read book

UW-Madison alumnus Matthew Desmond’s book was not only the pick for Go Big Read this year, but also for a Pulitzer.

His book, “Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City,” won a Pulitzer Prize in General Nonfiction, according to a UW-Madison news release.

“Evicted”—the UW-Madison Go Big Read book for the 2016-'17 program—follows the stories of eight Milwaukee families as they deal with the loss of their homes. It also analyzes and raises awareness of the “little-known epidemic” of eviction among people living in poverty nationwide, according to the press release.

Desmond earned his doctorate from UW-Madison in 2010 and is currently an associate professor of Sociology and Social Studies at Harvard University. He is also an affiliate of the Institute for Research on Poverty at UW-Madison.

“It’s my hope that as the years pass you come more and more to hate poverty, and to find ways of entangling your talents and your experiences in this problem,” Desmond said when he spoke at UW-Madison. “Experience the great problems of this world with your body and your soul. To me, that’s what the Wisconsin idea is all about.”