Wisconsin legislators have proposed a controversial bathroom bill.

Potential transgender bathroom bill uses fear tactics, hurts community

This letter is in response to the proposed reintroduction of the transgender bathroom bill by State Rep. Jesse Kremer, R-Kewaskum, as reported in a recent article on February 23, 2017.

This issue, like many others of late, is based on a fearful narrative. This type of unfounded fear demonizes already marginalized groups by making sweeping generalizations about individuals who hold different identities. Underneath a mask of fearful policy however, there lies one very important truth: humanity.

The possibility of this type of bill taking hold of Wisconsin schools further denies the transgender community basic rights and dignity. The conversations around the reasoning for this bill further strips this group of its humanity in the eyes of the public. For the transgender children this bill affects, the policy tells them they do not exist.

As an ally and friend of the LGBTQ+ community, I do not speak on behalf of the transgender population. I know this community has a powerful and beautiful voice. I hope to use my position and privilege to empower their voices and to change the conversation. I hope to change the conversation from what we can take away from this community to what we can give to support them.

According to the Williams Institute in a recent study, there are nearly 1.4 million people in the United States who identify as transgender—almost 0.6 percent of the population. In Wisconsin, the number is over 19 thousand, equaling 0.43 percent of the population. These are people in our communities, our neighborhoods, and our schools. Nineteen thousand people whose policymakers are telling them they do not belong.

Great work is already being done in Madison on behalf of the transgender community by OutReach LGBT Community Center. Their transgender health consultant hosts several workshops and presentations at corporations throughout Wisconsin, so much that her capacity as an individual staff member cannot meet the demand.

Wisconsin is asking to learn about and support this community and our policies and representatives should reflect that.

Despite a growing support for the LGBTQ+ community, the transgender population remains more marginalized than others, facing more discrimination, violence, and mental health issues. In another report, the Williams Institute found that 4.6 percent of the total U.S. population reported having attempted suicide while that statistic increased to 41 percent of the transgender population.

This policy affects real people and real lives. Our representatives should respect and support this community, not add to their oppression. Although just one step in the right direction, I implore Wisconsin State Representatives and community members to stop this bill from going any further, and instead take actions to support the transgender population in Wisconsin and beyond.

Only when we silence the fearful narrative can we begin to support a community in its healing. If children in our schools do not feel safe and supported to be who they truly are, what tragic statistic will we find in the years to come?

Miah is a junior majoring in community and nonprofit leadership. How do you feel about Wisconsin’s proposed transgender bathroom legislation? Please send all comments, questions and concerns about this matter to opinion@dailycardinal.com.