Associated Students of Madison Chair Carmen Goséy explained how chairs were to report hours for payment at a Coordinating Council meeting. 

ASM to switch from stipend to hourly pay

Members of the Associated Students of Madison will soon be paid by the hour in order to adhere to federal minimum wage.

ASM members are currently paid through a stipend that covers a certain percentage of their tuition. Earlier this year, leaders realized that the in-state tuition freeze caused their salary stipend to fall below the government’s minimum wage of $7.25 as well as UW-Madison’s $9 per hour wage.

“I think it helps dignify the work everyone does do and is required to do and helps the body of the student government and the public hold ASM officials accountable for their work ethic,” said Student Council Rep. Brooke Evans.

Evans said the students, who will now get paid $9 per hour, will be held more accountable under the new system.

“We had many individuals who were working technically below minimum wage before,” Evans said. “Hourly pay is closer to equitable pay, provides more accountability on what each paid individual in the student government body is doing, and helps justify hours.”

Chair Carmen Goséy told committee chairs that their position descriptions need to be updated to include estimated work hours and who they submit their hours to.

The human resources system requires all ASM members to get two people to approve their hours, according to Goséy. The chair will be the primary supervisor and vice chair will serve as the secondary supervisor.

In order to switch over to hourly wages, members will have to justify their hours by outlining what they did during their time spent at the ASM office, Goséy said. Additionally, the chair and vice chair have the power to deduct hours if they think members aren’t spending that time doing ASM work.

ASM’s current paperwork system will switch over at the end of the month.