Gov. Tony Evers’ proposal includes millions of dollars dedicated to facility renovations across the UW System.

ASM asks 10-year contract for Spring Powwow

The Associated student of Madison’s Student Council has demanded UW Athletics sign a 10-year contract with Wunk Sheek to host their annual Spring Powwow at UW facilities.

The group has struggled to find funding for this powwow after a lengthy review process with the former Finance Committee, now Grant Allocation Committee. The process dragged on because the group requested a larger sum than is usually given and the event was to be held at the off-campus Alliant Energy Center in order to accommodate all attendees.

Throughout the process, many former and current representatives questioned why the group did not hold the event at the Kohl Center to make it more accessible for students and give it greater visibility.

In the past, the powwow had been held at a UW Athletics building, but they did not return after the floor was left with scuff marks, several council members noted.

At a student council meeting before spring break, ASM Chair Carmen Goséy brought legislation to the council that she had authored with Wunk Sheek and Nicole Boyd, the campus liaison for native students, that asked for a standing contract with UW Athletics.

“This is a really powerful event and really necessary to have on campus,” Goséy said.

Goséy added that the university sits on Ho-Chunk land, a native group that sponsors the annual powwow.

Given that the legislation was drafted before speaking with UW Athletics, representatives were skeptical that asking for a 10-year contract that would make little money for athletics would be fruitful.

UW Athletics declined to comment, but said they are trying to learn more about this request.